Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Second time around...

So, I posted last night, and it took me like a half hour! But when I went to publish it, my internet had gone out and it didn't work! I was so annoyed! I reconnected it, but it didn' save any of my work past the first line! So, here we go again...

Let me quickly say before I get started that one of my favorite things about this little blogging ordeal is thinking up a title. Dumb huh? Really, all throughout the day when I think about what I want to write about, I try to come up with clever titles. I should get a job thinking up titles for newspaper and magazine articles! I don't really want to write the articles, just make up titles for them. I'm a dork, I know!

Anyway, let me quickly recap my love and logic class lesson from yesterday. (for those who care...)
#1 Give kids LOTS of choices. (Kids feel like they have some control in their life and behave better when they are given choices.) This way- they don't always feel like they are always being told what to do.
- give only two choices at a time. (Milk or Juice, walk or be carried, etc.)
- 99% of the choices you give should be at good times, when nobody is in trouble

#2 The way you word things make's a HUGE difference on how kids react. We, as parents, should tell children what WE are going to do, instead of telling them what THEY are going to do. Let me further explain with an example... Instead of saying something like, "If YOU don't eat your dinner, YOU don't get any icecream!" you say, "I only give icecream to kids who eat all their dinner." Only a slight change, but kids here it totally different!

#3 ENERGY DRAIN! This technique will probably work best as your kids get to be 3+. What you do is when asking a child to do something and they are defiant or argue back, you just say, "Oh man, this arguing, (or whatever) is completely draining all of my energy" Then, the key is to wait ("consequence delay"). As soon as the child asks you later for ANYTHING- privilege wise- (like a treat, money, to take them somewhere, etc) you say, "If only I had more energy. Too bad all my energy was drained from arguing with you earlier." Then, the kids can have different ways they can "replenish" the energy you lost earlier by either doing chores, or something else you want them to do. When your energy is back- however long it may take- you can again do things for them! I really think this would work as kids got older! The key sometimes to Love and Logic, is to stay calm and remember it's not our problem. It's our kids' problem. If they are in time-out. We need to smile and be happy. We're not in timeout. They are! (Easier said than done!)
Okay, so their is my recap. I'm really loving the class though.

So, here's where I need all of you're help! I have to teach Relief Society on Sunday because I'm in the presidency. I don't really mind teaching, but sometimes it's hard without a manual to follow, because I have to choose what I think should be taught. Anyway- I decided to talk about the importance of Relief Society and really focus on the importance of attending Enrichment Meetings and Activities. We have a difficult time in our ward trying to motivate the women to WANT to come to the meetings. I understand people get busy, but sometimes we need to go even if it doesn't Sound all that exciting. What they don't understand is that Enrichment is not for the purpose of entertaining these sisters, it's to learn important skills! Anyway, I need ideas for my lesson. If any of you have any thoughts, stories, comments... send 'em my way! I could use all the help I can get!

3 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

YAY! Thanks for the L&L updates. Aaron and I have decided that Cars is a flippin' genius. I told A how Carson was blaming the baby for things and he was quite impressed. I think your idea for RS sounds great!

So I have been trying to be better at working out, and I've been missing our swimming days! Oh, and PS... I'm 3 days late. AHH!

Melissa E Photography said...

Sorry, two more things. I am going to try that salad. It sounds GREAT! And a salad spinner is the best invention ever. Ya know when you're ready to make a salad but you haven't washed the lettuce so you end up washing it, drying it leaf by leaf and having kind of soggy lettuce? Well, a salad spinner is like a strainer that goes into a bowl and you push a button and it spins it around really fast and wahlaa! Crisp, clean dry lettuce ready to eat. Maybe I should get you one for your birthday! You know we are officially old fogeys if we get a kick out of kitchen gadgets.

Sorry for the novel. I love ya!

tara said...

I love that "energy" thing with l&l. They certainly have some good stuff. thanks.
oh, by the by, a salad spinner also works with pasta. It's the best.
Good luck with your lesson.