Monday, August 27, 2007

Bambi and Babysitting



Okay- so I rented Bambi from the local library since Carson has never seen it. Well, I really hadn't watched it since I was maybe 9, and I totally fell in love with it. I kind of forgot what it was about, altogether. Seriously, I forgot how much I love Thumper and his innocent little comments. I even got a little teary eyed when Bambi's mom dies, and I had to explain to Carson that she went to go live with Jesus now. Anyway- it's a good one for any of you who might not have seen it in awhile!

So, I've had my fair share of babysitting lately. I watched a little girl all last week for about 5 hours a day. Then, this week I'm watching a little boy for about 3-4 hours a day. The girl was a little difficult, but this little boy has been a doll. He and Carson play really well together, which is nice. I ended up watching a neighbor's little boy, on short notice, for about an hour this afternoon too. He cried hysterically the entire time. I tried games, toys, cartoons, music, treats, holding him, etc, etc, etc! Nothing worked. He just cried for his mom the whole time. I may have been more compassionate, but the kid is 2 years old! After about 45 minutes, I kind of gave up and put him down and did what I needed to do. Is that mean? Anyway-I am glad that I don't babysit other people's kids all the time. I like to have my freedom to go and do what I want, and when I babysit, I'm kind of stuck at home. Also, I have realized lately that I need to work on being more patient with not only my own kids, but other people's kids too. I think I get more easily frustrated with other kids because their parents don't discipline them the way that I discipline my own kids. Then, I get frustrated when these kid's do something, that maybe they are allowed to do in their own home, but I don't allow in mine. I also think it's hard because I'm just use to disciplining Carson, and every kid has such different personalities. Some are more sensitive, some are more stubborn, some are just plain out ornery! I think I also have a hard time not comparing my parenting styles with some of my close friends. I shouldn't judge, but it's so hard sometimes. I guess that's my goal this week: Don't compare or judge. And... Be patient and show compassion. (Much easier said than done!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get really frustrated with other people's kids too. Mostly with my siblings... I know they were raised better then that.
Anyways don't feel bad about it, I'm sure there are some people out there who don't like your kids too.
Not me of course I love you sweet little family.
Oh-and tell James good luck with school and to you too, It not fun after you've been home together and then it all the sudden changes over night.
My kids ae still trying to adjust to that too.
Later.

Melissa E Photography said...

I laughed so hard at your "bambi living with Jesus" comment. HAHA! Don't worry. After you watch it 2,000 times you'll stop crying at the end.

What a great reminder to be patient with other people's kids. I know people need a lot of patience with Parker! But why is it so much harder when it's not your kid?