Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Young Women In Excellence was...

AWESOME!!!
This was our Oscar we gave out. Thanks for the idea Mary Hicken! (We spray painted Mrs. Butterworth syrups!)

ANyway, the night was even better than I expected! All the girls showed up and had a blast. The girls came early to have someone do their hair, and a lot of them wore formals, or the fanciest dress they had. We had the Bishopric escort them in on a red carpet, with only a spotlight on them, and while they were entering, our Emcees were reading some questions from a fun little questionaire that each girl had filled out beforehand. We filmed all the girls and their projects ahead of time, so we could just relax and watch each of their movie clips, when their Award was announced. (We made up awards and fake nominees to go with them.) It was nice, because the only thing the girls had to worry about doing was walking up to recieve their "Oscar" and giving a thankyou speech. ("I want to thank my aunt for teaching me how to make my quilt" etc.)


Our gym was totally decked out in Theatrical decorations. One of the leaders was related to some guy who owned a store called "Party Palace", and they had so much fun stuff to decorate with! We also had each girl make her own "Walk of Fame" poster, with her handprints, picture, and her name in a star. We hung those on the wall around the gym. Each of the girls displays were set up in the back of the gym, so parents could look at them when the program was over.




(Some of the decorations are hard to see, but it reallly looked great that night!)



At the end of the program, when all the awards were given out, I read a poem and sang a song called "Dare to Dream". I know Heavenly Father blessed me because this past Sunday I woke up with a horrible cold. My glands were swollen, I ached all over, and I could barely talk. I fasted and prayed a lot that I would get over it quickly so I could be ready for this night. Well, Monday I woke up feeling completely normal, and Tuesday I felt great as well. However, Wednesday, the day after YW in Excellence, I woke up and could barely talk! I don't think colds usually skip a few days, but anything is possible with Heavenly Father!




Okay, so I feel so behind in the blogging world. There are so many things I want to blog about. but I just haven't had much time. I really am planning on doing your tag, Aunt Kim, but it might just have to wait a few more days! James has been taking the computer to school everyday, and I haven't had time in the evenings when he brings it home to blog.


Before I go to sleep, I wanted to tell you about a viewing I went to yesterday morning. My friend, who moved a few months ago, (she use to live across from me) had 2 little kids. The oldest one is Carsons age, and the little boy was only 5 months old when he passed away. (Mary, you know them. It was Jen's little boy.) Anyway, he had some heart problems since he was born, but they thought he was going to be just fine. He came home for 4 months, but wasn't doing very well, and for the last month of his life he was in the hospital in Utah. I guess he just couldn't pull through. Anyway, I had never been to a viewing or funeral for a baby, and it was the saddest thing. The casket is like a little box. Jen and Justin were amazing though! (The parents.) They are both young, and he was going to school at ISU just like James. Anyway, the entire viewing, they were smiling, and talking, and just seemed like they were at peace. I was bawling like a baby, and they were totally holding it all together! I was so impressed by them, and they were telling me that they were kind of able to prepare for a month or two, so it wasn't as hard as it could've been when he died. That night, I was hugging my kids over and over. I can't believe that something could happen like that to anyone. I hope I can get through my trials with the courage and strength that they showed me yesterday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that your mtg went so great. It is great to have some connections for cool decor.
And know I'm almost crying becuse you brought back some painful memories. I know those caskets can be very small, I remember my brother in his... so small...so helpless...
Anyways, I hope that you have a great week.

Mary Clark said...

What a great idea to have the young women in excellence as being at the oscars. Im sure you have a million more clever ideas. Im sure everyone had a wonderful time. That is so sad to hear about justin and jen's baby. We as members always know they are in a better place and we will see them again. Im sure justin and jen was grateful for the time they had with thier little boy. Im glad they are taking it so well. We can never take anything for granted. Where did they move too?

Anonymous said...

Those decorations were darling and I loved the syrup bottle, very clever. Your ward is lucky to have such a great leader with great counselors. Congrats on a great night. Btw your dress was quite glamorous, where did you get it?
I'm also sitting here crying as I read about that little boy. I can't imagine too many things that would be harder than losing your child. They must be very special people.
Kiss the kids from g-ma and g-pa, we miss all of you
Mom

Tyler said...

Ok, you have to be the world's most awesome YW Pres. You've been in for only how long now, and you just swoop in and pull something like that off! Wow. I'm glad things went well. Ours did too- I wish I'd taken pictures!

I'll never forget about 2 months ago watching my brother speak at his baby boy's funeral. It was the most powerfully spiritual thing I've ever witnessed, and I came away a changed person. I guess that's why we have trials. They make us so much stronger. But still, I'll take my little shack in heaven next to my brother's mansion.

Kim and Chet said...

I love your YW in Excellence idea. Everything looked SO cute. We have ours this Wed. so hoping it will go well. You did a great job.

I am thinking about my Aunt who lost her baby just after I had Talon and the way you described your friends is how she was, too. I was bawling uncontrolably and she was rubbing my back comforting ME! How dumb did I feel? Anyway, we are so lucky to have the gospel and the knowledge it brings. However, I don't know if I could be that strong either.