Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ever feel like pulling out your hair?

I'm warning you, this is a little long. But, after feeling like this.... I had to vent it out somewhere. Why not my blog, right?

-So, McKenzie and I came down with an awful cold. Aches, congestion, sneeznig, etc. Why us again?... I don't know. Carson told me a few days ago that he wants to be a daddy when he grows up so he won't be sick...cause mommy's and kids always get sick, but daddy's don't.
-Anyway, I tried to go to bed at about 8:00pm last night, feeling dead to the world, and knowing I had a rough day ahead of me. (Sundays are always rough when James works). So...after 10 phone calls and some unexpected visitors at 10:30pm, I finally got to sleep about 11:30pm.
-I woke up 6:30am to go over a young women lesson that I found out I needed to teach.
-I got myself and 2 kids ready for church, fed, and to a babysitters, so James and I could both attend ward council at 9:00am.
-Then, I came home, fixed the kids an early lunch, pack the church bag, and realize Kenzie is still coughing a little and has a snotty nose. I decide NOT to take her to nursery (to keep other children healthy), and find out that I no longer have to teach Young Women's, so I decide to just take her with me. (I would've skipped out, but we had a girl come for the first time who is going to be getting baptized in our ward soon, and I wanted to be there when she came to church, since we've had a hard time meeting her so far.)
-Then, James offers to help substitute the Sunbeams class, (Carson's class) until he has to leave for work.
-James comes to get me from Young Women's to take his place substituting the sunbeams so he can get to work, and he doesn't want to leave our friend Wylie, (who doesn't have kids yet and doesn't have much experience with them) to do it himself. (Carson's class is terrible, and they always need a few people in there to manage the naughty kids.)
-I arrive, with McKenzie, to find kids jumping off the chairs and trying to climb out the window. Wylie tells me, "I figured if I could just keep them in the room, we should be okay."
-Being the structured mom that I am, I sit the kids down and keep them happily occupied for the last 20 minutes of class with songs and games. I could tell Wylie was impressed.
-Then...off to sharing time. YIKES!
-About this time, Kenzie is starting to feel worse and keeps crying to just go home. This would've been a great time to escape, but I figure I definately can't leave Wylie alone with all these naughty sunbeams, so I just take her along with me again.
-Carson, usually a pretty good boy, starts acting up in sharing time, because I'm in there. (Is this normal? I always hear about how good and reverent he is in primary from the other teachers, but anytime James or I have been in there, he is so disruptive!) He starts going through my church bag and pulling out books, and snacks, etc. As I'm trying to control my OWN two kids, I'm also, along with Wylie, chasing one little boy who keeps running out the door or hiding under the piano, keeping two other little boys from hitting eachother with anything they get their hands on, and trying to keep one little girl's clothes on! Keep in mind that I'm feeling like crap from my cold, I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and I'm sitting on one of those mini primary chairs!
-By the time primary was over, I was done. No Sacrament today. As I'm trying to leave the church as reverently as possible, I'm carrying a now screaming, snotty-nosed daughter, and dragging a 3 year old who keeps yelling, "I don't want to go home. I don't want to go home. I want to have the bread and water and learn about JESUS! I'm NOT going home!!!" As I shove them in their carseats, I secretly vow to never get them out, and drive home listening to the "Sounds of Sunday" being overpowered by two hysterical children.
-After a few minutes of quiet time, outside the car in front of my apartment, I decide I really can't leave them in the car, and I let them out. Tantrums continue for another 20-30 minutes, which I'm getting really good at ignoring. Finally, Kenzie falls asleep, Carson calms down and apologizes to me, and we all lay down for a much needed nap.
-Sleeping peacefully in my bed, for a very short time...it seems... I'm suddenly awaken by a loud pounding on my door. I rush to answer it before it wakes up my kids, but I was too late. As I throw on some of James' pajama pants and an ugly T-shirt that still fits over my big belly, I open a door to two guys. One in a hoody, (looking a little creepy), and the other with a missing tooth. A little nervous, I close the door all but a crack, as I listen to them go on and on and on about winning some trip if I help them out by buying some stupid magazines! Oh, how I hate door-to-door salesman! ESPECIALLY on Sunday afternoons! What are these two guys thinking?! I politely (to my surprise) turned them down, and shut the door.
- Now, as I am WIDE awake with my kids, I sit here and think about the breakfast dishes still in the sink, and what to make for Sunday dinner. I'm sure I have something presentable to make my hard-working husband....hmmm......forget it. We're eating pancakes.

16 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Wow Cami! I have to tell you I have honestly been thinking a lot about you lately and how amazing you are. You do so much and do it all well. I don't know how you do it! The other day when we passed you in the car Isie says, "Cami looks pretty every day." So not only do you do it all, you do it all looking good!
I've been thinking of what a selfless and giving person you are. I know so many people feel like they can always rely on you. I know the times when we have needed someone most and someone we could trust we have turned to you. I sure appreciate what a good friend and a good example you are.
I hope you are feeling better. And poor Kenzie. I hate being sick. Pregnancy makes it last so much longer. Tell Carson hi for Isie. And we definitely need to do that bbq. Hopefully the weather warms up soon!

Jeigh said...

Man, that's a hard day! My kids are always more disruptive when I'm in their class, too, so don't worry, it's not just your kids.

And I HATE those magazine salesmen! I always try to be polite, but one time, after I had politely told the guy I wasn't interested about five times, he got really mad and said, "Fine, whatever, LOSER!" and walked away! Excuse me? I wanted to call him back over and be a little less polite, but I managed to shut the door and just play it out in my head. Errr.
I hope you guys get to feeling better, and take care of yourself! James is almost done with school and everything, isn't he?

Anonymous said...

Not a very relaxing Sunday for you! Who came up with this day of rest, for us mormons it is the busiest day of the week!
At least you made it home in one piece.
sorry to hear that you are sick again. You have really had a hard time this year with all the sickness that has been going around.
So far since we have moved, I know it has only been about a moth in our new apratment, we haven't had any sickness at all, it has been great! (of course I am saying this and now hearing a littleone caoughing in the bedrrom while he is asleep.)

Hope to hear that thngs are going better soon.
Miss you!

Tori Price said...

(My) James has been in boise for the weekend and so my saturday and sunday has been completely uneventful... if I still lived in Pocatello I would have LOVED to help you out! You are much better than I am... I probably wouldn't have even tried to go to church at 8 1/2 months pregnant with 2 little kids! You're amazing!

Melissa E Photography said...

oh, MAN! That sounds miserable. Sundays without Aaron are always so miserable!

I'm impressed that you were nice to those salesman.

I can't believe your THIRD little one is almost here. Where did the last 5 years go?

Brooks said...

Truthfully, I think that teachers are just too kind to tell you that your kid is disruptive. At least that's the theory for my own kids... I, too, have observed the "only disruptive when I am there..." bit. It can't just be when I am there, can it?? Or maybe mine are just LESS disruptive than others, but not up to my standards.

Also, a "No Soliciting" Post-It goes a long way... After one of those awful magazine people elbowed their way into my apartment, I took action. It really works.

I enjoyed the visual of the pregnant lady in the kiddie chair, though. I got stuck in one last week. Glad it's not just me...

Lindsay said...

Oh man, what a day. Sundays are definitely NOT days of rest for mothers. I hear ya. Sorry! I hope you and Kenz get feeling better!

Shellie said...

I think I'm going to read your blog to my Gospel Doctrine class. My lesson is on how to keep the Sabbath Day Holy, hahaha,.
What do ya think?
I hope you are feeling better.
Love ya, Mom

Emily said...

Wow! What a crazy day. I'm am so sorry. I hope things go better this week. I can watch your kids so that you can have a break before you have your baby. Let me know what day. Wed?

Erica Bazil said...

What a day! I just posted a quick summary about my Sunday mornings and how they are a struggle and now I feel like such a whiner - you're amazing to have even tried all that you did. I had to chuckle in regard to Wylie's comment - sounds so Wylie. I'm sure he was impressed with you, I know I always am and I think I can vouch for everyone else who knows you too. BTW: you sound like me with the kids' tantrums. I'm getting mighty good at ignoring Cash's and just letting him cry it out. Keep it up - that's all any of us can do.

Kim and Chet said...

Oh you poor thing...I really truly feel for you! I have had those days and continue to have those days! It's never ending...especially when you have 5 kids!

Josh and Shalae said...

Oh I'm so sorry! That is so crappy. I hope everything is going much better now and that little Kenzie, and yourself are feeling better. Call me if you ever need to chat.

Chuck and Becky said...

As I was reading your post I was laughing, only becuase I can totally relate. I have had those days where it seems like one thing after another. It is good to hear I am not the only one who feels like pulling out their hair. The good thing is that one day we can look back on these memories and laugh. You are amazing, and your children will be so grateful, one day, that their mother took them to church even when she was at her wits end. You are a great example to your kids, and others.

Felicia said...

Oh bless your heart. I hope the last couple days have been looking brighter!

Mary said...

Oh my word! I would give you a hug if I were there! The primary presidency and myself sit in the front of the primary room, and our kids are TERRIBLE. It has been quite the humiliating thing to have to sit there and watch. :)

Mer said...

I was feeling your pain the whole time I was reading your post! I have had some of those days it seems like it always happens when I have to do church by myself. One time I was in the primary pres., Jaxon was a baby and I was trying to prepare because it was my turn to do sharing time. Trenton was hanging on my leg because he didn't want to go to class and Brayden was just being awful! One of my friends gave Brayden her keys to keep him happy and he decides to go and stick them in a plug! Well it was a huge spark and loud sound and needless to say the black marks on the outlet are still there to this day to always remind me what a great day that was!!!!!! Yes I also have the problem that your kids act worse when you are there. I had one of my friends tell me it was a good thing because you wouldn't want them to act like that for other people(which is true)! Hang in there!