Friday, April 17, 2009
Teaching True Principles
Last night I went to an awesome Enrichment class, where the teacher taught us all about "principles". How to pick out principles from the scriptures, how to teach principles from the church manuals, how to give a talk in church and focus on only a few specific principles, etc. The teacher gave a quote from Joseph Smith that went something like this... "Teach my people correct principles and let them govern themselves." Anyway, I won't give you the whole lesson, but I did come away with a strong impression that I need to take advantage of every teaching opportunity I get, to teach my kids correct principles. So, this had been on my mind, and this morning I was cleaning the house. I told Carson to go clean up the animals in his room, and when I went to see if he was doing it, he came to me and said that he said a prayer so that Heavenly Father could help him clean up his room. (Kind of funny, I thought. I think the kid is so lazy, he thought that saying a prayer would ease his burden of doing his chores at all!) But then suddenly... DING...DING..DING...the lightbulb went on. This was a perfect chance for me to teach him a gospel principle, that normally I might have missed. I let him clean for a minute, then came into his room and sat on the floor and helped him pick up all his toys. He was so excited that I was helping him clean. I took a minute and explained to him that when he said a prayer to have Heavenly Father help him clean his room, that didn't mean that Heavenly Father was going to come do it himself. Instead, Heavenly Father sometimes answers our prayers through other people. For example, this time Heavenly Father gave ME an idea or impression, through the Holy Ghost, to go and help Carson clean up his room. So, I told Carson that his prayer was answered because he got help cleaning his room because I chose to listen to the Holy Ghost when he promted me to go and help. Therefore, Carson's prayer was heard and answered through mommy. I was worried that trying to explain this to a 3 year old was going to be way over his head, but when I was done, Carson just smiled at me and put a hand on his heart and said, "I can feel Jesus in my heart, mom." The spirit was so strong! Even if he didn't quite understand what I was teaching him, the spirit was there, and he recognized it. It was a good experience for me, and I hope that I can always take every chance I get to teach my kids correct principles, so that one day THEY wil be able to make good choices on their own and "govern themselves".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
What an awesome mom and teacher you are. Your kids are so lucky to have you as their mom. You recognize so many teaching moments. The fact that Carson said a prayer for help to clean his room means that you have already taught him the importance of turning to his Heavenly Father when he needs help. YOu are doing an awesome job!!!
How sweet! I am glad that did listento the spirit, not just to help Carson pick up the room but to be able to teach him that lesson. I think you will be surprised at how easy it come to teaching them things that true at the right time. I certinaly have found that if it is the right time for them to hear it them it is easier to give it. And they do seem to remember when they listen and it sounds like Carson is listening.
How are you feeling? How much longer do you have? isn't it almost time for you? or do you still have another month or so?
That is such a sweet little story. What a wonderful mom you are.
How cute, Cam! I totally got the chills when I read that cute story. Nice work. Carson is such a sweetheart, that's so neat he was able to feel the spirit so strong!
Thanks for sharing that story! I am totally going to try to take every chance I get to teach my kids. You are a great mom!
You amaze me, and I'm your mother!
You're kids were so blessed to come to you and James. I sat here and cried (so did dad) when we read that Carson felt "Jesus in his heart". How sweet.
Keep it up, you are raising the next generation of greatness!
Thank you my dear friend. My heart was touched...As I read about Carson touching his heart, feeling Christ...my own heart and chest filled with a burning. I felt Jesus too. Thank you. You are lovely!
That is so sweet. You are so great to be able to think of things like that.
Cami if I end up being half as good of a mom that you are I'll considered myself blessed! You're amazing and so are your kids!
What a great opportunity you recognized and took to teach Carson. A great lesson. You've reminded me to do more of that myself - Thanks!
Post a Comment