Friday, February 5, 2010

What I am

I am a wife,

a daughter,

a sister,

and a friend.



But most importantly......



I am a mother.



Why is that so hard sometimes? So many times it's easy to feel un-important when you are just a "stay at home mom". Someone asked me the other day, "So what is it that you do all day? Just hang out at home?" I felt a little put down by this remark, but it got me thinking. What do I do all day? Do I take the time to teach each of my kids something everyday? Do I play with them enough? Do I laugh with them enough? When they think of me, do they think of an ornery woman who is constantly nagging them to clean up their toys or take another bite? I sure hope not. But it's very possible. It's so easy to get caught up in getting things "done" that I forget to ENJOY doing them. I know that being home with my kids is the best thing for me to be doing, and that being a mother is the most important job I could ever have, but I feel like I need a constant reminder to make being a "mom" the priority.
I had a thought cross my mind the other night when Carson started crying in the middle of the night with leg aches, and begged me to come and rub his leg until it felt better. I was immediately frustrated and annoyed at the thought of having to get up in the middle of the night to rub his legs. Then I thought, "this is what being a mother is really about". I often stress about keeping a clean house and making gourmet meals (okay, not gourmet...but you know...), and I forget what's really important to my kids is the time I spend with them. I've tried to tell myself "this is what being a mother is really about" everytime I am stressed with the kids, or cleaning up spit-up, or up in the middle of the night with a sick child.
My kids will only be little once, and I will never get a second chance at motherhood, so I hope I can remember to always put them first and give them the time and attention they need.
I am a mother, and I feel SO BLESSED that I am!




15 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Being a mom IS the hardest job ever, isn't. But the best, too. It's hard to ever feel like you are ever doing enough. You're an awesome mother, though! Such sweet, smart kids.
How are Carson's legs? I hope better. He's had pains like that before, right? Did you ever find out what it is? Growing pains?

Chuck and Becky said...

What a great post to put things into perspective. Being a mother is definitely a challenge. I love your pictures! I still need to call you so we can get together sometime.

Lindsay said...

You're so cute. Thanks for your input on the hair too Cam - and the primary meetings. The women I'm with are older empty-nesters who I believe enjoy the meetings...I really wish I could persuade them into cyber meetings but I don't think it would happen, dang. That sounds so much better to me! And you're right, being a mom is the hardest thing ever, and the least appreciated! I sometimes think, "really, this is what my life is going to be from now on?" But then I remember that anything I sacrifice for this will be worth it times a million in the hereafter...and it's where true happiness comes from!

Shauna said...

It's like you can read my thoughts! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Being a Mom is The greatest job ever! I have had the same feelings.
I was amazed at how busy my days really are when I tried to write a schedule for someone else who was watching my kids when Rob and I went for the bone marrow donation, and I have to say I didn't ever realize I did so much. It was exhausting to even look at.
Hailey get really bad leg cramps, almost every night, She just is screaming in pain. I worry about it sometimes but I have to remember that growing pains really do hurt sometimes. I hate them!

Jeigh said...

Jenna gets the same growing pains. Now I will try to remember, "This is what being a mother is all about," when I am up half the night, because you are absolutely right. I have a friend out here that was so excited the other day because she realized her 3-year-old was only one year away from school, and her 1-year-old could go to preschool in 2 years. I thought that was kind of sad. I get sad even thinking of Halle going to Kindergarten in the fall, even though I've already been through it with Jenna. I miss them when they are gone. Being a mom is the best!

Jewels said...

Very insightful post Cami! You have reminded me of what is truly important, being there for my children and loving them unconditionally... guess I will just have to abort my plans of burying my teens in the backyard ;)

Kara Simmons. said...

Cami! I always peek at your blog so I don't know why I am not better blog friends with you!
Anywho, I loved this post. Just a couple of weeks ago Greg's brother asked me what I do all day. I felt so put down by it and by the way he said it! I know he didn't mean it the way I took it, but still, it made me sad. I can't even remember what I said, but I go over in my mind now what I wanted to say and it's exactly what you expressed. I can't think of anything more important for me to be doing right now than to be with my child!

Mom said...

Great Post Cami!!!
You're right, it gets hard and you sometimes feel unappreciated but then they grow up and you get the biggest payday of your life!
Just like I did when you became such a wonderful mother.

Erica Bazil said...

I was just talking to Ty about this again last night! I've been thinking along these lines so often lately. Often I do feel like I nag too much or am trying too hard to get things done without taking the time to enjoy where I'm at and who I need to be spending more significant time with. It is so true - like our leaders have said - I don't think we'll ever look back on time and wish that we hadn't spent so much time playing with our kids, etc. They are truly a treasure! Loved the post.

Shanna said...

I know one of the hardest things I've ever done but by far the most rewarded! thats why I posted this on my post a few weeks ago.....

Be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly.~President Thomas S. Monson

Johnson's said...

Ya know I often feel the same way. But since we've moved I have been working on my outlook on life and being mom. It took me a while to realize that just because I don't have a paper that says "you're a teacher or a nurse" doesn't mean I'm not important. The world wants us to feel that way. But Heavenly Father wants us to know that being a MOM is the MOST important job of all. And yes it is an under paid job!:-)

julie said...

So you need no advice because you are a fabulous mom. My friend wrote a similar post, and wrote it excellently and I keep meaning to send it to you so you can check it out.

http://tyandk8.blogspot.com/2010/01/confessions-of-housewife-loving-your.html

Unknown said...

Listen to your mom. You ARE a wonderful mother and that is THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT job there is. Don't every let anybody make you feel otherwise. The fact that they don't understand this is only a reason for us to feel sad for them!

Kim and Chet said...

What a great post. I find myself feeling that same way all to often. When really, being a mother is the most important job you will ever job and also the hardest but most rewarding.

You are a great mother and those babies are so blessed to have you!