Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hoppy


So, have you met Hoppy? I've met about 20. Carson and McKenzie have been obsessed with bugs lately! So...we decided to have bug week at school last week. We colored pictures of bugs, learned all about the differences between spiders and insects, learned the names of the body parts, sang songs about bugs, bees, and insects, found out all we could about how bees make honey, and yeah- you get the picture. The first night after we learned about insects, Carson says at the dinner table...
(him) Mom, guess what?
(me) What?
(him) Sometimes when I'm outside, I like to kill ants. And...sometimes after I kill them I like to taste them. And...sometimes when I taste them they taste sick!... And......a little salty.
(me) EW Cars! That's so gross! Don't you know we don't eat bugs???!
(him) Well, if I was ever lost somewhere, I'd FOR SURE eat worms!
Then, he was so upset because his friend, Hoppy, (yes, a grasshopper) jumped away during playtime. He only let him out for a second to play, and POOF! he was gone. Poor kid was tramatized for awhile....well...until he found another one hopping around in the weeds to play with.
Today was the best though. He found another grasshopper and was taking him for a bike ride, and playing with "his new best friend" outside on the patio. As I was sitting in a nearby chair, reading a book he says to me..
(him) Mom, Hoppy is the COOLEST friend! He is such a great climber, and such a great jumper, and such a ......ew (in the middle of his sentance)......(showing me his hand)....did he just go potty on me???!!!!
(me...laughing) Yep. Go wash your hands.
(him...on his way inside to wash up) Man....I didn't know bugs went potty. Sick.
It's been quite an eventful, bug learning experience for us up here in the mountains. I probably kill about 15 bugs a day inside the house. I wonder how many we eat every night in our sleep?

6 comments:

Wright Bunch said...

So stinkin' cute! We really need to get our little one's together.. And when you say school.. Do you or are you going to home school?

Dustin and Janeth said...

lol that's so funny. You are such a great mom. I'm SO scared of bugs. I can totally see you going with Carson and Kenzie to pick up bugs ;)

Anonymous said...

Can my kids come to school at your house. they would have a blast!

Brooks said...

Ah, ha, ha! Sounds like you have a genuine B-O-Y in your house! Good job turning lemons into lemonade. You're a pretty awesome Mom, you know? I probably wouldn't bother teaching my kids about bugs whilst they find them everywhere. Of course, all we've got in this neck of the woods are cockroaches and scorpions. Guh...

Lindsay said...

Oh man, that's hilarious! I hope you're not eating too many at night, that would be rough. Cute Carson!

Mary said...

I'm telling you, there was a mix-up and our husbands are twins. Birthday shmirthday, it's all a big scam. I do double takes on pictures of James all the time. Crazy! And next time you drive through stop by and let the kids play! Or come anyway- it's not that far. :) And I don't remember if I responded to your email about judging (it's been hectic around here) but I've got it covered and will hit you up next year...