Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Loves and Hates about FACEBOOK
So, I have always loved to keep in touch with old friends and Facebook has been AWESOME in this aspect. However, I think some poeple are going overboard with the Facebook thing. I'm not the kind of girl who spends hours on FB, actually, the only thing I've ever done on Facebook is read other peoples statuses, and updated my own. I've found friends, and sent messages, but this is about all. I hide all the games. I've NEVER done a quiz, never sent anyone a present, I've never been in a snowball fight, and quite honestly, I'm a little afraid to "poke" or be poked by anyone! I usually hit ignore on almost every invitation I get and I feel bad, but I have even hit "Hide" on certain people that update their status 6,7, or 8 times a day. I mean, really? Nobody cares that you "are so bored" or "have no life". We all kind of figured that after about the 6th status update in 2 hours. Facebook, for me, is a way to keep in touch, find old friends,view pictures of friends and family, and see what people are up to. I've found all the friends I grew up singing with, found all of mine and James' old college roommates and I've found or been found by zillions of highschool kids...some who I LOVE, and some who I barely remember! Facebook has been awesome in helping me keep in touch with all the friends I made in Idaho, who I might never have really talked to again. I always keep my login as "offline" since I usually only check FB for about 30 seconds at a time, and don't have tons of time to instant message people about nothing. Also, have you noticed the people who only have negative comments on their statuses? I don't know why, but this bugs me. Once in awhile, I understand the need to vent or what-not, but every time??? Do they understand how ornery and unhappy they always sound to the rest of us??? Also, one more pet peeve. The people who post pictures of themselves in skanky clothes, or bathing suits. Especially the ones that you can tell they took of themselves in a mirror or holding the camera out themselves. This cracks me up. Are they really that in need of a compliment? It makes me laguh. That's probably really mean. Sorry. Anyway, I think FB, like most things, can be awesome if it doesn't become an obsession. I'll admit, I get a tingly little sense of excitement when my "Status" comes to the top of the "TOP NEWS" page. Does that make me pathetic? Probably. but at least I'll admit that I've always been starved for attention! Anyway, I think we all need to remember "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
OHMYGOSH. AMEN!!! To every word you said. I have to refrain from making my updates make fun of all those people...the haters, the "look at my I'm sexy-ers" and the copy and pasters! Argh..you know..the "If you love your daughter then copy this" ones...seriously are we in 6th grade?! Hhaha, look at me, turns out I'm a hater too. :) Anyway, your words are pure truth.
Amen. My favorite are the dramatic posts like, "sometimes I just don't know..." or "I am being blown away..." I'm a frequent status update blocker too. I am friends with a chick who updated her status 17 times in one day. Seriously? WHO CARES!?
Yeah, I think that's why I can't even get started on facebook. Just one more thing for me to keep up on. It's enough for me to peek on Adam's once a month or so. There's just too many other things to be doing! My blog is quite enough for me!
Hahahahahaha.. you nailed it girl!! I totally agree!!! Makes me crazy too all the negative updates and the constant posts!!!
I hear you, 100%! I think that I have thought all the same things that you just mentioned (especially about all the poking going on... gross, and strange.). I hate people sending me quizzes. I hate people sending me "flowers", "chocolates" and "bears". Oh my.
I am sad to say, though, that I believe that I am probably one of the negative people that you referred to. I can't help myself. I stay pessimistic out of self-preservation. Mostly, this makes it such that I am pleasantly surprised in my situations. I choose that over slightly disappointed. But I do offer my apologies on behalf of all "downers" out there.
Great post! Super insightful!
Post a Comment