Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tired of spending my money




"I wan't it. I need it. I have to have it."








"Just get it. You know you want it."








I saw both of these previous statements last weekend on the back of dressing room doors in different stores at the local mall. It really disgusted me. How are we suppose to get our country out of debt when this is the message we and the younger generations are getting everywhere we turn?!





In these tough economical times, it is SO important to get our budgets out and show more self-discipline in our spending habits. I know too many family/friends in financial trouble right now, and it breaks my heart to hear about their stresses and worries about money on a daily basis.





The past few months, even I've been going crazy with how much it was costing us in grocery bills every month. It's insane!!! And we are not even people who impulse shop or have expensive taste! We usually buy "no-name brand" foods and usually only buy frozen chicken breasts and ground beef. And still, we were spending way too much.





As I hear more and more about natural disasters going on in the world, it is constantly on my mind to get my food storage back up to par, again. It was good for awhile, but I haven't been great at re-stocking what we've been using lately. It's hard when it is already so expensive to get by on groceries we need month-to-month. I have been overwhelmed at even the thought of starting up again.






That's when I turned to COUPONS.






With all the hype about "Extreme Couponing" lately, I decided to give it a try. I bought a few copies of the Sunday paper, got my printer up and running, watched quite a few tutorial videos online about the tricks to saving the most money, and went from there. I put time and effort into it every week (during naptime). I did my research through the week of all the sales at different stores, and organized my coupons (both manufacturer and store coupons) in a big 3 ring binder with a zipper so they didn't fall out. I used a few different websites to find the best deals (they do most of the work for me!) made organized lists, and finally hit the stores!





I've only been doing it for three weeks now but it's TOTALLY paying off! I'm well on my way to having an ample years supply of food/groceries without spending much more than I use to for my normal trips! (Not that I have room for a whole years supply right now...but I'll just store what I can fit!) I never get more items than I have room to store, and I never buy anything that I wouldn't use in one year.





Just today I bought $125.00 worth of items at Walgreens. (I know that sounds like I'm crazy since Walgreens is normally an expensive store for groceries, but I only buy things I would normally be buying...deodorant, razors, toothpaste, fabric softener, tuna-fish, honey, etc.
And...I only go there if it will end up being cheaper than Walmart.





Want to know how much I spent once I added all my coupons into the mix?????





$43.00






I saved $82.00 in ONE TRIP. I'm telling you ladies....this is what I'm talking about!!!






In the past 3 weeks I have saved at least 50% on my regular groceries that my family uses on a regular basis. Cereals, toiletries, laundry detergents, cleaners, etc. And I'm only just learning! Last week, a friend of mine's bill came to $320.00 at Walmart and she spent $33.00! Are you kidding me?! I sure wish my walmart here doubled coupons!





The first tip to couponing is to get a big enough "stockpile" at home so you are able to plan your weeks meals with items you already have at home. This allows you to only buy the things that are on sale that week and stock-up on things that are on sale and you have coupons for.





The first few weeks were pretty big shopping trips for me, (to help me get my stock-pile up), but now I'm ready to just shop for sales and free things! Hooray for the word FREE! Today I got free skittles, free deodorant, free nail-polish remover, etc. It's awesome!





There is really too much to explain it all via blog, but if anybody is interested in learning, let me know! I'd love to help a girl out.

5 comments:

Kim and Chet said...

Hooray for couponing! I am so excited to go down in my storage room and actually see shelves FILLED!!! I love it. I still need to learn a few more tricks of the trade. Walgreens confuses me so I try to go with Evonne. But, I think it is definitely worth taking the time for. I don't know if our Walmart doubles coupons here either but I know they match prices which is nice.

Kendra and Karl said...

Yes please. Teach me. Now that school is over for the summer I really want to try and get the whole coupon thing figured out. I loved your binder and need to figure out a system of my own. I just don't know where to start, what sites to look at, or anything else. So help would be really great!

Erica Bazil said...

I have been debating on whether or not to try couponing. I keep hearing about the money you save but wondered if I had the time needed to invest in doing it - sounds like it's worth it though. I do a lot of price matching now but am sure I could save more with couponing and would be interested in learning more. You said you use a couple websites? I should check it all out. Heaven knows grocery prices just keep going up and anything helps!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cam, Since school is coming to an end can you send me the web addresses that you have been going to and I would love to try it out over the summer and see if I can do it! Thanks! You are such a handy little thing! ha ha love ya

Michelle said...

On our recent vacation, that was the first time I saw the extreme couponing show. I was FLOORED by how much they saved. I haven't done it only because I don't want 50 of one product lol. But, saving money IS what I want to do so I need to look into this. I would love to learn from you! :D