Monday, August 1, 2011

First Crush

So- this is Kenzie's first crush. His name is Brandon. He's 15 or 16 or maybe 17...I really don't know, but I don't think she even cares! Let me back up here.... I put the kids in a rec center soccer camp for the month of July. It was 3 days a week, for an hour at a time. It was only $5.00, and to give them something fun to do during the summer, I totally think it was worth it! Plus- I thought it would be good for McKenzie, since she is extremely shy and stuff (and she'll be starting preschool this Fall), to do something with another group of kids without "mom". So, it started. There were 3 coaches, An older guy, and two younger coaches that helped out. The kids were super excited to go, but during the very first practice, as I sat on the bleachers, I noticed Carson with his arm around McKenzie out on the field, holding her as she cried. She didn't come running back to me and I didn't go get her, I wanted her to work it out herself. I figured maybe the coach said something that embarassed her or made her feel like she did something wrong or was in trouble, but after practice she said she was fine and she didn't get into it, so I decided to drop it. The next practice, same story. She ran out, all excited, but a few minute in, started crying. It was actually so sad to see her out there, running and kicking the ball and crying her little eyes out. Again, I didn't go get her, but afterwards when we talked about it, all she or Carson would say was that she just gets scared around a lot of people. I honestly think my 4 year old has social anxiety! She's always been shy, but I started putting two and two together. When she went to nursery and all the kids were together, and it was chaotic, she flipped out. When they split nursery and the older class was organized at the table, she had no problem going in. When I took her to her "arts and crafts" class (Another rec center activity she did this Summer), she would go in, with the other 5 or 6 kids, sit down at the table, and have no problems. But...when I took her to soccer and their were LOTS of kids (and more chaotic), she had a hard time.





Anyway- I let the coaches know what was going on, so they didn't think she hated it and I was the mean mother, making her go anyway. I told them that she really loved soccer, and I never had a hard time getting her to go, but she just gets so nervous around people. I told them that I was glad she was doing it though, to help get her ready for preschool. After this, cute little Brandon just took her under his wing. He always followed her around giving her compliments on how well she was doing. He would always tease her and take her ball, and whenever she got out in a game they played, she would almost look excited because that meant she could go sit as close as she could possibly get to "her favorite guy". (This is what she called him after practices when she would tell me stories, before she learned his name.)





All the coaches went on and on about what a sweet big brother she had. Those first few weeks he was right next to her when she started to panic with his arm around her, and help her go where she needed to. Really- you couldn't ask for a better big brother. He's such a compassionate little boy.







So- after the first few weeks, I remember one day she went and never cried. You should have seen her afterwards! (And Carson, for that matter.) She was so proud of herself and kept telling me over and over how good she did, and how she wasn't even scared! I'm so proud of her that she stuck with it! I think she learned a good lesson that if she does it, even if she's nervous, she can still have fun, and that it gets easier everytime. The last few weeks of soccer, were a blast for both of them. How lucky we are to have such fun, inexpensive activities for the kids to do in the Summer here!






Aunt Rachel and Uncle Karl came to one of their practices. And Grandma Crowther was able to make it to the very last practice.





When we told the coaches thankyou at the very end, Brandon went on and on about what a turn around Kenzie had made. I said something like, "Well, I think she may have a little crush that helped...." to which he replied, "I'm the one with the crush!!!"


At the end of the Summer carnival, (First picture at the top) I asked if she could get her picture taken with him, and he said,"I just about asked you the same thing! Would you take one with my phone for me??!" He was pretty cute with her, and I 'm glad she had something to help her get over her little anxiety. She'll probably always remember her first crush...I mean, don't we all????

4 comments:

Amelia said...

That is sooo precious!!

Shareen said...

That is so cute. What a sweet big brother she has. Good parenting I think is what causes that!!

Erica Bazil said...

That is so sweet! What a great big brother - just what a big brother should be - protective and caring, etc. And what a stud for a first crush :). I'm so often impressed with the youth all around us that see and recognize a need and step up to the plate in such a fantastic way. Gives me lots of hope and makes it easy to see a bright future with them as our leaders and examples for our kids to look up to as well. I'm so glad it all turned out and that Kenzie was able to enjoy soccer!

julie said...

Love this story. Maybe it's a oldest brother thing. Ethan is the same. The other day Liam crashed on his bike, so Ethan pushed (and ran) on his 2 wheeler while Liam sat perched on top. It's nice they can be nice and not fight every second of the day.