Thursday, April 19, 2012

Refreshing

So, a lot has been on my mind lately about motherhood. The kind of mother I am and the way I am raising my kids.  I read a great article about not comparing ourselves to other mothers, and just being who WE are.  (http://powerofmoms.com/2012/04/your-children-want-you/) The article basically says that with Facebook, pinterest, etc, it is so easy to get caught up in seeing everybody else's lives, (the good things they post....) and projects they are doing, that we tend to feel like we're not enough.  I've taken on the motto this past week of... "DARE TO NOT COMPARE". Catchy, huh?  Yes. I made it up myself.  But...I'm so tired, as I'm sure many mother's are, of feeling like they should always be doing more. That everybody else is planning better meals, sewing more stuff, having more park days with their kids, making more crafts, cleaning their homes more often, being more organized, working out more often, etc, etc, etc!  Well? Good for them!  We all have our own parenting styles and talents. Why can't we just do our best, and leave it at that?  It's great to try to be better and improve ourselves, but the problem is when the "trying" starts becoming "not enough".  The point is, our kids love us for who WE are!  The article  said, that all our kids really want is us. Not some stressed out mom who wishes she were somebody else. 


 I've recently met a woman who is totally refreshing to me!  She has 7 kids....(6 boys, 1 girl) all under age 10 or something.  And she is awesome!! After spending some time with her in her home, I noticed she doesn't seem to care what other people think. Her home isn't decorated trendy. She has her children's artwork, and favorite quotes plastered around the walls of her house.  She even has monkey bars built on the ceiling of her hallway for Heaven's Sake! Her kids aren't always in fancy headbands, or the latest style of clothes. Her house isn't spotless, and yet, she is such a great mother!  She is soft-spoken and kind. She finds every possible way she can to teach her children both academically and about the Gospel. She spends time reading with them, and helping them with homework and chores.  She inspires me.  You can tell that the way she parents and lives her life, is the way that works for HER and not somebody else. I love this.  She has totally motivated me to be a better mother.  (Not that I'm comparing myself........cough-cough.)


I've also been reading a great parenting book called, "Power of Positive Parenting" by Dr. Glenn I. Latham.  It has been awesome.  It helps me be a better mom by giving me the tools and skills I need without making me feel like I'm doing a crappy job right now. It's all about giving your kids plenty of attention for the good things they do, and trying to just ignore the "junk" behavior. "The behavior that receives the parent's attention is the behavior that is going to be strengthened...bad or good".  James and I have noticed a big difference of the mood in our home since we've been reading this book, and focusing on being more positive with our kids. I recommend it to every parent! 


How grateful I am for my kids! I hope they know how much I love them and how hard I'm trying to be a good mother. I know I'm not perfect, and I make plenty of mistakes, but I do love them more than anything.  They are so precious to me, and I can't help but notice every day how fast they are growing!  Can somebody please just make the time stand still??

3 comments:

Shareen said...

What a great post, but the way I see it, you spend every waking hour filling your home with love for your family. Anyone that compares themselves to you, will surely come out depressed. You are an amazing mom and it shows in your children. You had such a great example to follow in your mom, so keep it up. Us old moms are wishing we had you to look too 30 years ago!!! Love ya tons!!!

Lisa said...

Yes, please, let's figure out a way to slow down the time! I loved these thoughts. I think my biggest problem is not necessarily comparing myself to others as much as holding myself to an unattainable "ideal." The key is to be the best YOU can be, which is so refreshing! And by the way, you're a great mom. :)

amber-girl said...

Amen!!! I have been thinking the EXACT same things! Thank you for your post and great reminder for all women!

And my goodness, your little baby girl is absolutely adorable and what a pretty blessing dress!!!