Saturday, August 25, 2012
Social Anxiety---Kindergarten nightmare.
So, I may have gotten a little too excited too soon with how well McKenzie did at Kindergarten. She had a great first few days and then it went downhill. The days were long, and I'm almost positive she has social anxiety. She does well in small groups, or one-on-one, especially if there is lots of structure. But, I think there were just too many unknowns for her in Kindergarten. On Thursday the teacher called and told me that she had been having a rough morning, crying on and off the entire morning. We decided together that it was better for her to stay and learn to adjust, then for me to come and take her home though. Friday- same thing. I left her there crying and bawled all the way home. I felt so bad leaving her so scared. I figured out a few things that were making her nervous though, eventhough she couldn't tell me why she was getting so scared. I knew she loved the school part of it all...homework, learning, structure, etc. But it was the social part she struggles with. First- she didn't know a single person in her class. She found a few kids to play with at recess from church in other classes, but didn't know anybody in her own class. Second- lunch made her nervous. I don't know if carrying the tray was too heavy and hard, but she was also too shy to ask for help to open anything (like the milk) and so that was scary for her. So- that was an easy fix. I started to pack her a cold lunch, with things she could open herself, or I could open before I sent it to school. She also hasn't even gone to the bathroom yet because I think she's too nervous to ask or get up and go. Poor girl. Anyway- these are just a few things that scare her. So- I had been so worried about her and what to do. I knew she would eventually adjust and make friends and be fine, but how long would that take? I didn't want to pull her from school because it would only be the same next year. She is just that way with new things. I felt bad for her, and did my best to sympathize, but knew she needed to face her fears and prove to herself she could do hard things. James had already given her a Father's blessing before school started, and we had a family night on "We can do hard things." I prayed a lot for guidance and in the middle of the night on Friday, I had felt inspired to call one of the girl's from her class to see if she could come and play on Monday after school. (Not call her in the middle of the night....but the next day. I'm not that crazy.) I didn't know the mother of the girl, but knew "of" her. She is in our stake, and some of her family is in my ward. I met the little girl when I went with Kenzie to lunch on Friday and she was very friendly and outgoing, and was just what Kenzie needed. I called Saturday morning, and arranged a little play date. Monday- Kenzie went crying again, and called me mid-morning still crying. I met her for lunch, and she seemed to be doing a little better. Then this new friend, Kalie, came over and it was fabulous. Kenzie was happy, giggling, playing,etc. Tuesday morning she still was nervous again and cried, but calmed down soon after arriving to school. On Tuesday she took all the kids in her class a "Back to School Party" invitation. We decided this would speed up the process of making some new friends, and also help me get to know the other kids and their parents in the class. Wednesday was also a little better, and since James had the day off, he met her at school for lunch. Thursday she was on her own all day, but a different girl from class came over to play. And Friday she didn't even cry!!! We had her party after school and she met even more new friends, and now, starting Monday, I think we are in the clear!! I'm so glad she could adjust quickly (if a week is quickly...) and I'm grateful for answered prayers, kind girls at school, helpful parents, and a great teacher who worked with us so willingly. We have been blessed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank God! I'm so glad she has such thoughtful, loving parents! Having lots of play dates and a party is pure genius! I might have to borrow some of these ideas someday. :-)
What a great mom you are to think of all those things to help her. Thinking about them really isn't the hard part it is following through with them. What a great job you are doing with your kids. I know some day she will love you for all your efforts. James too. What a cute dad to go and have lunch with his little girl!!! Way to go!!
Post a Comment