Thursday, May 16, 2013

Getting ready for Summer

So last year the kids and I put together a fun idea to help us stay entertained during the Summer (when we were home and not traveling.)  We called it the "Summer of ABC's".  We picked an activity for every letter in the alphabet and did one every day...(Obviously, not EVERY day, but lots of days.)  It was fun to see the things the kids came up with for each letter.  We had easy things like making paper Airplanes for the letter A day, and have a Picnic for letter P, and more planned activities like going to the ZOO for the letter Z, or visiting Grandma for the letter G. The kids were excited every morning to see what we got to do that day for our "Summer of ABC's", so this year I thought I'd try something similar.

I saw a great article on the power of moms website with some great Summer ideas that I loved.  So, this Summer we are going to plan some "DAILY ADVENTURES".

Each day (M-F) will be something different, but categorized depending on the day of the week. Confused? Here. Let me show you.

MAKE-IT MONDAY- (ideas include building forts, sand castles, doing art projects, building things with blocks, k'nex, or legos.)

TAKE-A-TRIP TUESDAY- (visit a museum, park, zoo, bike ride, a day trip to a close city)

WET WEDNESDAY- (Visit a pool, do sprinklers outside, go to the local splash pad, have a water fight) 

THINKING THURSDAY- (make a list of things the kids want to know.......where does yogurt come from? How are cars made? What does a frog eat?? Then go on field trips, learn at home with the internet, or visit the Library and do some research. Each kid could take a specific Thursday to pick something they want to learn about.  After learning, we can find some fun activities to go with the topic)

FRIEND FRIDAY- (Schedule play-dates....individual or groups, have late-nights...since we don't do sleepovers, etc.)

I thought it was a great idea, so I am stealing it. 

You are welcome to steal it too, if you were wondering how to keep from going insane with boredom this Summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?

There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Kudos!

my web blog - tedxyse.com

Michelle said...

This is a great way to keep busy and have fun during the summer. I need to do this with my kids. Thanks for the idea!