
Tonight I have a Relief Society Activity. We're doing a "Chicken Soup for the 'needy' Soul" night. We are going to bring a bunch of donations for a humanitarian project, put on by the Stake, and eat chicken noodle soup. I think it should be fun. I also have to do a musical number with Jessica, a girl that I teach singing lessons to. She's a young woman in our ward, and I think it should turn out pretty good.
This Saturday Jessica and I are also putting on a little performance, for an assisted living center here in Pocatello. It's kind of a little "recital" thing for Jess, since she hasn't really performed much yet. We're going to sing 2-3 songs each. Jess is doing awesome during her lessons. She just turned 12 and she is such a fun girl to teach. She babysits for me all the time too. I'm so lucky that I've met people here that I trust to watch my kids. Sometimes I'll even sit next to her family during Sacrament (her mom is the R.S. president and I know her family well) so when James has to bless the Sacrament with the Young Men, I have some help with the kids if I need it.
And last but not least, I get to sing a musical number with 2 other ladies in the ward in Relief Society on Sunday. One lady is my age, and the other lady is in her 60's. I guess we'll see how it sounds. I'm a little nervous though, because the song is so ugly...um... I mean different. The music lady picked the song, and I had never heard it before, but we'll see how it goes.
It's good to be able to sing a little more. I haven't done as much singing as I use to, before I moved here, and I really miss it. I'm grateful that I'm able to use my talents, and hopefully I can be more dedicated to practicing so I can sing like I use to. For some reason, I get nervous when I sing in front of people lately. This is so strange for me, because I've been singing since I was 2, and I have never gotten nervous until the last few years. Now, when I sing, sometimes my voice shakes, and I feel like I'm out of breath. I hope that it's only because I'm not use to doing it much. Hopefully it will get better if I start singing more. I want to check into auditioning for ISU, to sing the National Anthem for the games. Maybe that will get me back into the groove?!
6 comments:
Sounds like your are busy. Tell everyone hello from us, we miss that ward so much. I bet Jess is doing awsome. I think she would be a good little singer.
I'm so glad that you have found some people to watch your kid-os we still have yet to come across those people, we don't really know a whole lot of people yet, Although I did go over to a friends house to do laundry last week...
Have fun at your meeting I'm sure it will be a blast.
I can relate, but with piano (since I can't sing!) People will ask me to play something for them, and I have to bow my head in shame and say "I can't." I haven't had time in the last three years with raising kids and all to practice, and I've just lost it. The WORST is when I try to show one of my students something and my fingers just fumble. Well the scriptures are true. You bury your talents and you lose them. Oh the little things that strengthen my testimony. :)
That is great you are still singing. You were blessed with an amazing gift. But you will find as you get older fear takes a bigger part in your life than it ever used to. So you can see that by my age, I am afraid to get out of bed in the morning. haha
sounds like you've been a busy girl. Like Susie I miss cedar 3rd ward too. Im glad that Jess likes singing, how could she not when she has such an awesome teacher. When I worked in a nursing home they would have people come in for little programs and the people there just loved it. Im sure they will think your great. Be sure to tell hi to the people in the ward from us
Cam, I have been missing singing so bad! I was never afraid to sing solos, and I had to lead the primary kids in a song and I was a tremblin'! My goal is to sing a solo sometime soon so I don't lose my nerve!
Hey cami, it is so good to read some of your blog! I received your message on myspace the other day and am now I'm just checking out your blog and I just have to tell you that your kids are so beautiful. That's great that you are teaching singing lessons. I'm too afraid to teach lessons for some reason. I'm just worried that I am going to get a student that I absolutely don't know how to help. I don't know...it's kind of weird, but I admire you for doing that. I just started a blog with my sisters and cousins so you can check it out if you'd like to as well. I hope to keep in touch. Take care,
Bianca (VanLeeuwen) Merkley
Post a Comment