Wednesday, June 18, 2008

You Go Girl!!!

I had a great day running this morning! Thanks to my friend, we pushed ourselves today to run a 5k (3.1 miles)this morning. I was surprised how well I lasted. We just ran on the road, and mapped our run on http://www.mapmyrun.com/. (Awesome website!!!) I ran 2 miles without stopping, and then after a couple short walking breaks, ran the rest of the way. I felt so good about myself when I was done. Even in gym class (middle school, highschool, AND college, I never could run a mile without stopping. Sad. I know.) It's so amazing how running can be so "mental" for me. Does that make sense? The second I start doubting myself, or thinking negatively, I'm done. I have to totally focus, and keep telling myself that I'm amazing (which I am), and that I'm not tired. I totally get really into my music while I run too. Once in awhile I burst out into song, and I'm sure drivers are pretty entertained! I'm amazed at how much a positive attitude can change the outcome when I run. I've started to think about how that is probably true about everything. If I can convince myself I'm in a good mood, or I've got a lot of energy, even if I don't, it helps. I realized that I need to start being more positive with myself lately. Not just with running, but everything. I need to give myself a break once in a while, and not stress about things that don't really matter. Who cares that I didn't get the laundry done, or get to the store today. If I focus on the things I DID do, (like even just getting dressed for the day), then at the end of the day, I can feel good about myself, and not a failure. I am really a pretty busy person, and sometimes I let the little things overwhelm me. It's so hard to feel like you accomplished a lot when you don't actually have a paying job. I'm my own boss. Which is good sometimes, but hard others. For example, it's hard that I always have to be the one to motivate me to keep the house clean, and make good meals. When you have a boss, they tell you what to do, and when to do it! I guess in a way James can be my boss! He's not real strict though!

Enough rambling. I guess I'm just typing all my thoughts, and I'm not sure they really made sense, but I feel better anyway. So, thanks for reading, even if you thought, "wow- she's a wacko!" the whole time you read it!

Okay, quick question? Those of you who have kids, when do the leg aches (growing pains) start? What age? I was up for over an hour last night,rubbing Carson's leg at like 2:00am! I didn't think the leg aches started until they were older, but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, just wondering.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't run 10 feet without stopping. I think you're amazing! No lie... that's really great! Keep up the good work!

Josh and Shalae said...

Cami you're great!!! I mean it. I strive daily to be as good of a mom and housekeeper as you. As far as the leg aches go, I'm not sure when they start. All I know is that I've had mine as long as I can remember. Sorry I'm not much help. Love ya!

julie said...

I know you already said it, but you go girl! I started running after I had Ethan and I was surprised at how easy it was, because it was all mental. I couldn't help but think, "running is NOTHING compared to labor!" And then I could run all day! :) well not really, but a couple of miles.. I really should start running again. Ugh. :)

The Nelsons said...

Way to go Cami. You should run in the 5K in August with Amber Meredith. You are pretty speedy, I bet you could even go for the gold! Leg aches???

Kim and Chet said...

Way to go Cami Jo!!! That is awesome. I hate running and can barely make it to your mom's house from mine...haha! I'm pathetic. As far as the leg aches they start pretty young. All of my kids started when they were old enough to let me know their legs hurt, so like 2 or 3 years old. I've noticed that when they've had a good bout of them that all of a sudden their pants are floods on them!

stephanie said...

Hey Cami... it's your second cousin Stephanie. I ran across your blog and your kids are adorable! We saw some of your family at your grandparents 50th anniversary party. It's fun to keep in touch this way! Take care and way to go on the running - I'm trying to get into it but I'm far from a 5k!!!