Friday, January 16, 2009

Oriental Chicken Salad

This one's for you Aunt Kim... Have you ever gone to a restaraunt and been so thoroughly impressed by a menu item that you would think about, after you were back home, in your spare time? Crave it? Dream about it even? Well, I have. Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad is DIVINE!!! I'm really not much of a salad girl unless it comes with a steak and potatoes, but this... this is different. I LOVE it! Sure it may not be the healthiest salad around. But heck, I'm pregnant. I need the extra calories, right? Anyway, I had gotten the recipe from one of James' cousins and decided to give it a whirl. Most the ingredients were normal things..(except the rice wine vinegar) and so it was pretty easy and painless to make, and still tasted mighty close to the real thing! Oh, how I wish you could have tried some. What a delicious lunch we had. Look, even James enjoyed it! (He didn't even pose for the picture. He really just opens his mouth this big when he takes bites. Kind of sad.) (Hey, Erica, we call this shirt his Ty Bazil shirt. What'dya think?)


So, here is the recipe for anyone who wants to try it...
3 cups chopped romaine
1 cup red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 green onion, chopped (optional)
1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
1/3 cup chow mein noodles
4-5 breaded chicken fingers on top. (I used popcorn chicken, and it tasted pretty good too.)
Dressing...
3 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Grey poupon Dijon mustard
Mix all dressing ingredients together with an electric mixer and put in fridge.
....and there you have it. Your home can be an applebees on earth. Is that how it goes?

8 comments:

Melonie Harris said...

looks yummy!!!!Hey my sis-in-law actually got the headbands on ebay.. she has an extra set.. she is selling them for $2 a piece or if you buy the full set of 16 then it is $25 total... if you are interested let me know???

Ashley said...

That looks good. I love salad but don't think I've ever really liked the ones I make. On second thought... I don't think I've ever really made one. I'll have to try yours!

Kim and Chet said...

Oh Cami, I LOVE you girl!!! Where did you find that recipe?!

I actually just went to lunch with an old friend from HS on Wed and that is what we had. She got the half and I, being a pig but using pregnancy as an excuse to ease my guilt, got the full portion and ate EVERY last bit of it! It was so YUMMY!!! MMMM

Melissa E Photography said...

mmmm.. I'm making that. Tonight.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that happens to me too!! I just hate when it is something that I really loved and then the second time around it makes me sick so I can't eat it anymore.
Sometimes being pregnant stinks!

Shauna said...

That looks so good! I'm definately going to make that sometime. How is the potty training thing going? You should give me some tips on potty training...hopefully both Kenzie and Halle could be potty trained before our babies come...who knows?

Erica Bazil said...

Looks tastey. I'll have to try it. That's funny about the shirt. It does look alot like some of the shirts Ty wears. I had a good chuckle.

Shellie said...

I love that salad!!!
Thanks for the recipe, it is actually pretty healthy, I mean look at all the veggies that are in there.
James is a good model.