Friday, February 27, 2009

Crazy hair and food storage

This is a totally random picture, but this is Kenzie's hair after her nap the other day. Why I even attempt to do her hair every morning, I just don't know. (She looks like she needs a nose ring and a few tattoos in this picture, huh?) So, lately I've been in an organizing mood. I'm trying to get things in order before we add another little rugrat to our little apartment! Yesterday, for example, I went grocery shopping, and focused on our food storage. I came home and 3 hours later had all my food storage re-organized! It was a HUGE project, but I feel so much better now that it's done!

This is the basis of our "food" in our Food Storage. We've really just been working on getting our 3 month supply in order. James says it's a good thing that I re-organized it all since we'll probably have to live off of this while he's doing his rotations. Hopefully, it won't really get THAT bad, but I guess it's good just to be prepared, eh? Anyway, Besides the flour and sugar, (that you can't see in this picture since it's on the other side,) we also have wheat and canned foods from the cannery stuffed under the crib. I also have about 75 "treetop apple juice" bottles (thanks to WIC) filled with water and stuffed in our closets, and under beds. I tell you, it's a real test to get food storage going when you are living in a little apartment, but, it's so good to feel prepared! I feel like I kind of go in spurts with my food storage. For awhile I'll do great, and then I kind of slack off and forget about doing it at all. Hopefully, now that I'm re-organized, I'll be able to keep up on it better.
Okay, a few things the kids have said lately....
Kenzie was playing with a little purse and put it over her shoulder and said, "Bye mom. Later. Be back."
So, playing along like a good mother would, I said, "See ya later. Have fun at work."
Carson then piped in, "No mom. Girls do NOT go to work. BOYS go to work. Girls go to "the womens"! (Young Women's) Apparently, the only place I ever go, without the kids, is to Young Womens. Go figure.
Okay so, last night James came home from work late and the kids were already in bed. Carson got out of bed and came to snuggle with us on the recliner for awhile. We let him stay up a few minutes since he hadn't seen James all day, an as he was laughing about something, I noticed how small his teeth are. I mentioned to James about how small his "baby" teeth were, compared to McKenzie's, and Carson must have taken offense because about 5 minutes after he was back in bed, out of nowhere, he yelled out to me, "Mom? Do you know what isn't very polite to tell people?"
"What?" I yelled back.
"It's not very polite to tell somebody that they have small baby teeth. It makes them feel sad." I couldn't help but laugh. What a funny thing to hurt someone's feelings!

7 comments:

Shareen said...

That is so funny that he was offended by having small teeth. It is even funnier that he would call you on it. hahaha. I am so impressed with your food storage. I have always said I was going to your mom's house if anything ever happened. My goal this year is to be able to stay at my own house in an emergency. haha. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Ilove her hair! My girls and boy look like that after they wake up it is so crazy!!

I am so impressed with your food storage it looks amazing!!! That is so cool that you have made room for that stuff. Ours isn't not growing very fast at all. I wish that we nad a cannery here, I would so be going!

Anonymous said...

Some people are very sensitive about their teeth. Being best friends with a girl who had braces for a total of 9 years, you think you'd know better.

julie said...

Haha! I'm doomed to hurt my kids' feelings way too much! Good food storage! One of my friends lives in a 2 bedroom apartment here and they have their entire year supply! Can you believe that?! They have one of those canned food shelves in their kitchen and food storage is just EVERYWHERE. I figure if they can do it in a tiny apt. I really have no excuse!

Mary Clark said...

wow great food storage! The thing with our food storage is that I dont know what to buy. Any suggestions? Kenzie is such a doll with that hair. The same thing happens with mailia. When i pull her pigtails out she looks like Doc from back to the future. Hope all is well with you and the little guy.

Michelle said...

Carson just kills me! "The womens" ROFL! And today, when he blew me a hug, we're still laughing about it! You have great kids and they have a great mommy! (James is great too ;)

Kim and Chet said...

Go you!!! I really need to work on my food storage and organization but ugh...that is the least of my worries right now! One day at a time right?