Thursday, March 5, 2009

Parenting 101 by Cami...

10 things about parenting I've learned lately...

1- The only thing a toddler hates MORE than having mom argue with them, is having mom NOT argue with them. Love this trick.

2- My favorite line is, "that's your choice". Be it good or bad, I'm not the one who needs to get upset because THEY are the one's that lose privileges when they make BAD choices. Not me.

3- Positive Reinforcement is much better than negative. When my kids are getting praised for "good choices" they've made. They are much more likely to make good choices that day. They love the good attention!

4- When were we, as mothers, told that we have to choose the consequences right away for their bad choices? I have a new idea. When Carson "loses a privilege" (Which is actually quite adorable to hear him say), he always asks what privilege he has lost. Until a few weeks ago, I would quickly think of some consequence and set it in order right away....UNTIL....I decided I didn't need to! Now, if I know what privilege he is losing, fine. If not, I tell him I'll let him know when I decide. This has been much more beneficial for me. For one, I don't end up taking something away in the heat of the moment that usually hurts ME more. (like cartoons!) And second, it gives me some time to see what will hurt the most. (sounds harsh, doesn't it?) For example, he lost a privilege the other day for making a bad choice, and I told him I'd let him know what it was later. Later, when he was BEGGING me to read him a story, I decided that would be a good privilege for him to loose. I knew it was something he really wanted at the time, so it would probably hurt the most, and teach him the best. Simple as that. No more quick thinking. I decide on my own time!

4- Sticker charts work. Whether you use a prize or not, all kids love stickers. Even Kenzie is thrilled just to put a sticker on the chart when she accomplishes a task.

5- The most important thing about parenting is being consistant! How exhausting this actually is!

6- Being consistant is much easier said than done.

7- Kids will always misbehave more when in public, when someone is at your house, or when you are on the phone. Why? Number one, they don't have your attention, and two, they think they can more easily get away with it! We need to teach them during these moments, that they CAN'T get away with it, or it will just get worse. My favorite thing to see is other kids in "time-out" in the isle of Walmart. Glad mine aren't the only ones!

8-Each kid is SO different, and therefore, need different ways of being disciplined. It's a good idea to learn the best ways of discipline for each child as soon as possible!

9-Kids can always do more than we think they can. We tend to baby them, and I think we need to give them MORE responsibility early on, for their OWN benefit. I'm not trying to push them to grow up too fast, but how are they ever going to learn to make their bed, when we always do it and assume they "are too little" and still don't know how? (Plus- making the top bunk bed is very difficult for a pregnant woman!)

10- Kids need love and time. Enjoy the time with them when they are young. I find myself thinking all the time, "Carson....PLEASE stop talking and asking questions!!!!" However, how much of our conversations am I going to miss when he gets to be a teenager and doesn't talk to me about anything at all??? I think we all need to cherish the time we have with our kids, no matter how old they are, and stop taking the time for granted! I love mine more than anything, and even when the days get rough (like yesterday), I know that being a mom is the most important thing I've ever done, and ever will do in this life. I need to enjoy it more, and take the time to create more meaningful memories with them everyday!


Thanks for reading. Hope all my jumbled thoughts made some sense to someone!

13 comments:

Josh and Shalae said...

Hey those were awesome! You are such a great mom. I will definately be using those as guidelines in my house. Thanks!

Lindsay said...

You're a great mom! Your kids are lucky to have you! That was fun to read! Nice work Cam!

Anonymous said...

that is great Advise! If Rob decides to read through this he would say what a great example of real parenting you are. He (we) read these kinds of things in his books for school all the time.
Good job I thikn you get a sticker too!!

Melonie Harris said...

Great parenting skills!! I am going to need them here pretty soon!!! Yikes!!

Unknown said...

These hints will be very useful

Jeigh said...

Thanks for this post. I really needed to read this tonight after another bed time battle! I love the "That's your choice" and taking away privilages, too. I will definately have to try that, because I feel like I've been grasping at straws lately as far as punishment goes. And consistancy is definately not me strong suit! Thanks for taking the time to share your insights!

Tori Price said...

Cami you're such a great mom! If more parents were like you I would want to have kids sooner! But then I see the brats in walmart and I'm like... hmmm... maybe later...

Mary said...

I loved this post! Especially #10. I've really been working on that lately.

I love when you stumble onto new "tricks" (even if they only work for awhile). Hannah has been crying a LOT lately. I've tried everything I could think of to change how she reacts to things and how she communicates with me, but we just weren't getting past all the crying. This morning I had a second of brilliance and as she was crying I said "Hannah, quick! We need to hide from The Cry!" We hid under a blanket and The Cry couldn't find us. It was wonderful, and it has been working all day!

Shareen said...

Can I get a copy of the book you should write? Even though mine are grown, you have such great advise I would read any book you put out :) That is why you have such great kids...they have a great mom!!!

Lindsey said...

Great advice. I can so relate! My yesterday was horrible too, but with a different attitude today went much better. It is funny what sleep can do for you.

Kim and Chet said...

Great post. You really should teach a parenting class :) You are a great mom and I agree 100% with everything you've said. I TRY to do and apply those things with my own kids.

Emily said...

You are so wise! I loved all of those things. Keep up the great work. Have you had a chance to read my "baby wise" book?

Erica Bazil said...

How wise. I'm actually reading/scanning through a couple parenting books and some of what you said sounds similar (like teaching them to be independent and do things for themselves (such as make the bed) instead of assuming they can't and not giving them the chance to learn. Anyway, loved your thoughts. Maybe you can give me some advice on how to get Cash more interested or to sit still for more than 1 minute for FHE or school time. I just keep trying - hopefully it'll get through to him eventually.