Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A fight at the gas pump. The gas pump won.


Imagine a woman with a lot on her mind. So many things to accomplish in only a few short days. She works-out, showers and cleans all morning. Quickly, she jumps in her van, as her mind wanders to the tasks of the day. Laundry, groceries, take a meal to a friend, buy a new carseat for her baby (since she found out yesterday her old one had been recalled!), go to Young Women's, etc. Then she hears an annoying bell. The gas light comes on. "Oh, I don't have time for this!" she thinks. Then it hits her. This could be the perfect opportunity to clean all the garbage from the van, and vacuum it out. No kids in the way, two less car seats to move...this is perfect timing. She stops at the pump, quickly jumps out and puts the nozzle in the hole to start pumping gas. With only thoughts of cleaning out the van on her mind, she turns too quickly and trips right over the hose of the gas pump. So many thoughts come in such a short time, but nothing can stop the centrifugal force that is pulling her down to the asphalt. She puts her right leg out to stop the fall, and quickly regrets it, as she twists her knee, rolls over her big toe, and slams to the ground. Before letting out a wail, she looks around to see if anyone is watching. A lady is walking this way. Did she see? She isn't laughing yet. That's a good sign. She pulls herself up into the van, leaving her brown flip-flops by the gas pump. She scoots in just enough to pull the door tight and then she's free. Free to let out a wail and a few tears. She can't bend her leg. She can't bend her toe, and her knee is covered in blood. (okay, not really "covered" ....but there was blood.) She gives herself a few moments in the van, and waits for any witnesses to leave the gas station, before slowly getting out to retrieve her shoes, and put the gas pump away. Now, you may think this woman went straight home to rest her leg, but she is stronger than that. This courageous woman finished every last task she had on her list that day,...limping the whole way.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! You brave girl! I would have gone straight home and laid in bed and watched a movie! Hope you get better soon!

Lisa said...

Funny girl!! You're going to be worn out before your kids get home. How does that knee feel today?

Anonymous said...

What happened to just relaxing and pampering yourself while you had no one around to yell, "mom, mom!"
You should really be more careful.

Josh and Shalae said...

You are so funny! I don't mean what happened to you was funny (even though a few chuckles did escape my mouth) but that you went along your merry little way and finished what you had to do. Man you really are superwoman! (Let me know if you need me to alter that carseat cover for you if the new one has a different handle. I totally will do it for you!!)

Shareen said...

Hey I thought you were going to say you drove away with the pump still in your car. haha. I hope your leg gets feeling better, as well as your pride :)

Tori Price said...

Oh Cami! I wouldn't have laughed but since I've been through too many similar things I had to let out a little giggle. If you're looking for some good books though there is a series by Scott Westerfield that starts with the Uglies and it's a good series too... Even though I don't think anything will ever compare to the Twilight series now. I finished New Moon this morning and I'm dying to get Eclipse! Put that leg up and get some rest, I swear you're the busiest person I know!

Erica Bazil said...

Darn it - it's terrible when us mothers think - this is my only chance - less kids, etc. to get done what we need to so we do what we probably shouldn't and finish all our tasks BEFORE taking care of ourselves. I hope you heal quickly! I was wondering if you were still the YW pres. - sounds like it. How are James' rotations going? What are you guys' plans when he's done in MAY - sounds amazing right?!

Lindsey said...

Wow! Your posts are always so funny!

Emily said...

I can totally see myself doing something like that! I'm so sorry and hope you are feeling better!

Lindsay said...

Oh Cam, too funny. I'm sure it was painful though! Yikes, sorry! I hope you've been enjoying your "free" days!