
Oh....the joys of bathtime. I choose to bath all my kids together, because it saves on hot water for me... hehe. They always get to pick a random toy to play with in the tub (usually a toy animal of some sort) and they love to spend the morning splashing and playing in the water, while I get the baby dressed and ready in the hall by the bathroom. Now, of course kids will be kids, and a little splashing is inevitable, but honestly, do I have to allow my toddlers to fill the cup up with water and just DUMP it over the edge? No. I do not. Am I alone in this? This is common for most families, right? Well...I have tried telling them to stop. I have tried threatening them to stop. But to no avail, I would still find 2 inches of water dumped over the side of the tub by the time they were done. However, as of recently, I have finally found a solution. I thought maybe some of you have had this same problem, so I have decided to share with you, my brilliant idea.
I take a very nice, warm, dry towel and show it to my kids.
Me: Look Carson. See this soft, warm towel?
Carson: Yes.
Me: Well, this nice dry towel is YOUR towel when you are out of the water.
Carson: Yipee!
Me: I think I'll set the towel down RIGHT HERE (on the floor next to the tub), that way you can reach it when you get out.
Carson: Okay.
Me: Now, if you splash water out of the tub, what do you think will happen?
Carson: My towel will probably get wet?
Me: That's right. And....if the towel gets wet, do you think I'll get you a different, dry towel when you are done?
Carson: Sure.
Me: No. I'm sorry. I won't. You still have to use the wet towel to dry off when you are done, and you probably don't want a wet towel, do you?
Carson: No.
Me: Then, it might be a good idea to remember where your towel is, and be careful not to splash, okay?
Carson: Okay mom.
It only took about two times of "forgetting" and having to use a wet towel when they were done, to remember to keep the water IN the tub, instead of OUT. Sometimes they need a few reminders that they will be using a wet towel when they are done, but for the most part it has worked miracles! Give it a try mom's. Oh, you may feel like a terribly mean mother when your kids are crying in a sopping wet towel, but if it teaches them a lesson, I'm okay with that. It's not going to hurt them to be a little cold.
12 comments:
I love it! It is totally ok to be a mean mom sometimes, but not all the time.
you are a great mom!
simply genius! Now what do I do to get them to stop playing "tea" and drinking the water?!?! hahah! You wouldn't think that'd be my problem with 2 boys!
That's brilliant!
We just always sat by the tub while the boys were in the tub, and gave them a warning. If they had to be scolded twice, bath time was over.
That worked until I started bathing three kids by myself... Now Mason and I are in his room, dressing him, and the other boys are being mischievous in the tub. I think that I am going to have to try this. I did try using their towels to dry the floor up... but didn't make them use it.
Thanks for the tip! I look forward to testing it!
Nice work. Sounds like a great lesson! If only my child would listen to me and understand the words coming out of my mouth. I feel like I talk to myself all day, but it's worth it...I know someday he'll catch on and understand all these words!
Amazing!
I am totally doing that, though lately, we haven't had such a problem as before! Mostly now, Carter just splashes like crazy, and I tell him to stop or he has to get out. Sure enough, he gives a few more rebellious splashes and then he has to get out! It took a few times and now he is doing much better (knock on wood! lol!)
I am sooo nervous for the race! I ran my 6.5 miles last night and have made a goal for 10 minute miles. I ran a lot faster than that last night and felt strong when I finished, so now I am even MORE nervous because i know that if I run my race in just under an hour, I could possibly place in the top three!!! Ahhhh! Why do I have to be so competitive??? lol!
I am so glad you will be there to cheer me on! I cannot believe Cameron is running the marathon!!! Crazy! And I cannot believe that you are running over three miles after having a baby!!! Awesome!
PS-I will get that website to you too for the cat cake!
That is brillant! You are so smart, I wouldn't have thought of that one. Before Carli was born I would bathe Brooke first, then let the boys bathe while I got her pj's on and ready for bed. However, she somehow managed to sneak back into the bathroom and I would find her back in the tub, pj's and all!
Thanks, I really needed that! If only a 1 year old could understand that concept too!
Any solutions for getting a child to stay in bed? Wow, we are frustrated with sweet Avrie every night!
You are so smart! We have the same wet floor problem. Good advice, thanks!
Great idea!
One thing that works for us (now that the girls are older) is simply closing the shower curtain. My routine is to usually clean the bathroom (or wipe it down) at bath time, so it works out well when Layne is there, too because I'm still in the room.
I'll have to try the towel idea, though...Hayden is the ultimate culprit. :)
You are a genious!!
Where were you when I was raising my kids.
Oh yeah, you were in the tub making the mess.
Haha
Okay, do you think it will work for an 11 year old? I walked into the bathroom last night after Makayla got out of the tub and my rug was SOPPING wet! Like, when I picked it up water just ran off of it...no lie! So I find about 2 soaking wet towels on the drier...what are they from? Makayla used them to wipe up the floor. Her explanation of it all..."I splashed a little when I was in the tub." A LITTLE???
Great idea Cami! You always amaze me at the things you think of when it comes to your kids.
So brilliant. I always love your ideas!
Post a Comment