Aunt Joy and Madison Joy
I'm so glad we decided to name Maddie after Aunt Joy.
Despite our ages, I have always been very close with my Aunt Joy. She never married, and so her neices and nephews were like her kids. She was an amazing person and I will always smile when I think of her. I've had more than one friend growing up say, "Man... I wish I had an Aunt Joy!" I'm glad to know I was the lucky one. 
I was asked to think of a couple of memories for her funeral this week, and I had the HARDEST time narrowing it down to 3! So....I figured I could write as many as I wanted on my blog!
In no particular order...
**I remember going to Disney on Ice with Aunt Joy and my brothers and cousins, when we were really little. She made the mistake of buying us cotton candy. All I remember was being so sticky and then rubbing my eyes with my cotton candy fingers! I was a mess! Between all of us kids, we made several trips to the bathroom that night at the Delta Center, and I don't think Aunty Joy got to even see any of the show!!!
**I remember saving all of my money to go to Hawaii with Aunt Joy and my two cousins, Jenny and Jordan. I remember that first night in the hotel, when we were all so tired, Jenny, Jordan and I were laying down getting ready to go to sleep and Aunt Joy came in, looked at us like she was completely disgusted, and then asked, "Isn't ANYONE going to play cards or something with me?" I immediately laughed and we stayed up for hours playing cards and laughing so hard we cried!
**I remember sleeping in her hotel room at Mesquite and going down to the hot tub at night with her, knowing that my brother's weren't nearly as lucky and had to go straight to sleep because they were in my parents room!
**I NEVER remember beating Aunt Joy at the "word game". (I made up a game when I was little, where two people would take turns saying one word at a time, and whoever laughed first, lost.) Most of the time, Aunt Joy wouldn't even have to say a word and I would start cracking up! She always made me laugh.
**I remember being just as excited for her Christmas presents as I was for Santa's! She ALWAYS gave the best, most unique Christmas/ Birthday presents ever!
***I use to chew her out for wearing a ring on her wedding finger! I would tell her that she was never going to find a boyfriend until she took that ring off! I remember she claimed it was the only finger that her ring fit on........ and that boyfriends were a pain in the butt.
**I remember rigging my bouquet toss at my wedding because I was determined to get Aunt Joy married! I strategically placed Aunt Joy away from all the other single ladies, and then threw it right to her!
**I remember sleeping on the floor next to her every Christmas night, when she would stay in my bedroom to sleep. She snored so bad, but I didn't care because I was so excited that she was sleeping at my house, and in my room. I remember laying quietly on the floor when I woke up one morning, because I didn't want to wake her up. Only to find out later that she was already awake, but didn't want to wake ME up so she was laying quietly in her own bed!
**I remember going around with her late at night at the hotel in Mesquite and sliding different face cards under random peoples doors just because we thought it would be funny when they woke up in the morning and found them there. We both almost wet our pants laughing so hard when we put a Queen of Spades under Aunt Renee's door and laughed so hard about how superstitious she was and how we wish we could've seen her face when she found it!
**I remember going to the Stadium of Fire with Aunt Joy to listen to Martina McBride sing. I particulary remember trying to get out of the parking lot when it was over, with all the people crossing the streets. I remember laughing so hard at sweet little Aunt Joy getting so upset at all the people in her way! I swear she almost ran one guy down!
*****"Tap-tap-tap. I like to tap. I like to tap my head. Tap-tap-tap."****
Aunt Joy taught this song to my kids a few months ago and now they sing it constantly. I'm so glad they got to meet her, and I hope they remember her always.
I love you Aunt Joy! SO, SO, MUCH! I can't wait until we see eachother again, and can once again laugh until we cry.

11 comments:
Oh, I love that! They're not even my memories and it makes me totally miss her, too.
She was an awesome lady - made EVERYONE feel comfortable and loved, no matter how long or little you knew her.
What a blessing she was in our lives as well. She made everyone around her feel like she was thier Aunt too. My kids always wanted an Aunt Joy. Shalae was lucky enough to marry into her. haha. I loved your memories. That is, after all, what we have left of those that have passed on before us. Let us all remember to make lasting memories with the ones we love.
Thanks Cami for yours :)
I love them! I so wish I always had her for a Aunt Ionly hope & pray to be as awesome as she was! I loved the cruise w- her she made me laugh so many times & so dang brave did everything! she was a AWESOME lady! I remember always telling her if I had named Kehlden WEsley if she would be his Aunt. If you need anything let me know.
Cami, that is SO sweet. I hope you are all doing well. I loved Aunt Joy too! She was so amazing. And you're right - total weak sauce. I guess we're getting old! Moms need their sleep! Well, you guys are in our prayers, hang in there Cam!
What a great post. It is nice to remember the fun times we have had with others.
Such sweet memories!!! She was an amazing lady I know I always felt very comfortable around her and she treated me like family. Great woman. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers!!
I was so sad when I heard about Aunt Joy. I'm so sorry for your whole family. I remember when we were little how excited you would get when she would come to visit. I actually remember feeling a little intimidated to meet THE one and only Aunt Joy. But she was so so nice and made those around her feel loved. Love you!
Loved your memories Cami. I know Aunt Joy felt especially close to you as well and was very proud to have you name Madison Joy after her.
I still can't believe she's actually gone. I will miss her, she wasn't just a sister-in-law but my very dear friend.
What a sweet post and how fun to read those memories. She was an amazing woman and treated everyone like she was THEIR "Aunt Joy". We loved her and you are so blessed to have so many wonderful memories of her. Makayla was just telling me how she remembers eating Swedish Fish with Joy and she told her that if she sat still while she ate it she would be able to feel the fish swim all the way down to her belly...and Makayla SWEARS she could really feel it swimming down there! LOL....such a cute and sweet lady! :)
Happy Happy Birthday Cami Dear!!! I hope you've had a great day! We love you, have a fabulous birthday!
Post a Comment