Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Too much tv????

How much "screen time" do your kids get everyday?

My answer...2-3 hours.

When I go to our WIC appointments, I HATE this question! It always makes me feel so guilty! Is 2-3 hours a lot for kids my age to watch tv everyday? Obviously some days are less and some are more, but I really try to make it educational shows! Yes, my kids love tv, cartoons, movies, etc. And it is really a lifesaver somedays! (Like yesterday when I was throwing up all day, and I had 3 kids to take care of until James got home from work. They watched movies for most of the morning, which I was very thankful for!) On a normal day, my kids watch a few cartoons in the morning (after they eat and get dressed) so I can exercise and shower in peace. Then, if Carson has behaved that day, he gets "quiet time" instead of a nap, and he gets to watch a movie on my bed after we do his reading lesson, while Kenzie naps. So...I guess I was just wondering if I was normal, and if other parents let their kids watch this much tv everyday?

So....How much "screen time" do YOUR kids get everyday???????

8 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Yeah that sounds normal to me. Isie watches cartoons in the morning and then usually at least part of a movie later. Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

If you think that is too much tv then I better not anwser. You might think I am a horribly mother. We watch way more then that.
I think you answer is fantastic. Way to go!

julie said...

There are times when TV just has to be a babysitter. I always feel guilty though because even educational tv is detrimental. So yeah, it's hard. For the longest time, we never watched TV, but it's getting more and more all the time. Boo me.

Jeigh said...

If I'm being honest, most days it ends up being more than you. I try to keep it to a minimum, but when you really need a little breather, it's nice for them to have something to entertain them. It's especially hard when it's cold and wet outside, and when you have a new baby. I think you're doing great! Especially since you use that free time to exercise and shower :)

amber-girl said...

Honestly...I DESPISE that very same question at my WIC appts. too! I usually think of our days when we watch the least, and give that answer...not mentioning that on many days we watch much more! Guilty as charged!

So...we no longer have cable. The only channel on at our house is PBS! My kids always watch cartoons in the morning, their favorites being Sid the Science Kid, Curious George, Clifford, Word World, Cailou(sp?), Zaboomafoo, and Dinosaur Train.

If they watched ALL of those in one morning, that's 3 1/2 hours! It adds up fast! And there have been many days, when they are sick, or I am sick, and we watched cartoons all morning long! It happens, and nowadays, I don't worry about it because my kids are happy and well-adjusted kids who choose, if given the opportunity, to do anything besides t.v. time!

Usually what they do is watch a portion of a cartoon, disappear into their room and play, come back out and watch a bit of another one, then head back to the room for more play. They only end up watching half of what is on.

Yeah...the tv HABIT is bad, but you are too smart for that Cami, and your kids are so super smart, you are so in the norm for tv watching!

Don't worry! You are doing everything right..and I agree with Jeigh....so glad you use your free time for things like exercise and showering! ;) Love ya!

Shanna said...

you are asking the wrong girl I love the box!!! dont get me wrong Its not all day but you need to get stuff done someti=mes & sanity, so I think there isnt a time frame Its a day to day decesion some you need it more & others you dont so thats my 2 cents.

Evie B. said...

I won't lie, we watch a lot of TV in our house. I work late nights and sometimes need a little quiet time to relax. Sometimes, I just need my kids occupied. And sometimes they just plain like a show and I feel like being nice.

And despite that, my kids are extremely well-adjusted, very smart, funny, kind and active. Obviously, too much of anything is bad, but I don't think it's wrong to rely on the tv for a little help now and then.

Kim and Chet said...

Considering everything else you're doing with your kids like, school, singing, etc...I would say that 2-3 hours is OKAY!