I admit, I have my days of self-pitty, self-doubt, and self-recrimination, but overall I feel like I'm a pretty happy person the majority of the time. However, there are always times when I feel like I would like to be happier, but am not sure how to achieve it. That's why I've been pondering this question. What makes me happy???
It's always easy to think of the small things in life that make us happy.
For example, some of the things that made me happy just today were:
*listening to my kids sound out a new word and seeing how proud they were of themselves when they learned how to read it.
*smelling a freshly cleaned kitchen
*making rice crispie treats with the kids
*opening up the blinds and seeing sunshine this morning!
*Dancing around my bedroom with little Maddie, INSTEAD of putting the laundry away.
*Kissing James goodbye for work
*looking at the second Hunger Games book on the shelf...begging me to pick it up once the kids are down for naps!
The list could really go on and on. However, it's taken me awhile to figure out exactly what it is that makes me happy. I've narrowed it down into 3 categories.
Physical Health, Emotional Health, and Spiritual Health. When I am feeling healthy and strong in all of these categories....I am happy. Let's go into detail a little bit.
#1. Physical Health....
I feel the best when I am physically healthy. I exercise 5-6 days a week, and I love it. It helps with my energy, it helps with my self-esteem, and it's some "me" time that I really need on a daily basis. Everything just seems worse when I don't exercise. Eating right is also a big one. Sure I love sugar, but I feel like crap when I eat too much of it, or even when I eat out too much. I'm honestly so much happier at the end of each day, if I've filled myself with nutritious food! I also need sleep! I'm not talking 6-7 hours a night. I need GOOD, Long sleep in order to be happy. I need to go to bed early, and also wake up early and get going right away to feel happy. When I'm tired, I'm ornery and nobody's happy when mom is in a bad mood from lack of sleep! The last part of the physical health is the ORDER in my life. Mainly my home. I have to have things physically in order, to really feel happy. If my house is messy, or the bed isn't made, I hate it! I don't think clearly, I don't relax and I feel stressed all day. The first thing I do in the morning is make my bed, and open the blinds. I need my house bright, clean, and in order to truly feel good. (Okay, I know that vacuuming the stairs twice a week may be a bit extreme, but at least I feel good knowing it's done!)
#2. Emotional Health....
This encompasses a lot of things for me. Mainly relationships. If I feel emotionally strong, I usually am getting along with the kids, and with my husband. When James and I communicate well, I feel more peace within, and I feel good. When I'm stressed, and I have someone to lean on and talk to/vent to, I find it easier to get over the problem. Other emotional factors in my life are how I feel about myslef. My self-esteem. How I am doing as a mother? A friend? A Wife? I try to reflect on these questions often, and I find that writing in my journal helps. We're always our worst critic, but this way, I see what I need to work on, and therefore, as I keep a journal of my progress, I can also see my improvement. When I am doing well in the "physical" category, my self-esteem is higher as well, and I am more emotionally strong and healthy.
#3. Spiritual Health...
I am the happiest when I am spiritually fed. This sounds so corny, but it's true. I find when I am really saying earnest prayers and pondering the scriptures EVERYDAY, I am truly a happier person. I think when I am spiritually strong, I am able to focus more on other people, than on myslef, and this is the number one way to be happy. Thinking of someone besides yourself. SERVING others! I promise it really works. Whether it's making dinner for a friend, or taking the time to play with your kids (even if the dishes are still in the sink! ) Service can be small or big, but it works! The Savior was probably the happiest person to ever live on this earth, and his whole life was serving others. I need to remember his example and do better to find others who could use my help. I need to put others first, because when I do, I truly feel happy.
I'm sure this is all different for everyone, but it has been very.....theraputic(?).... for me to write it all down on paper, so I can see what truly brings me happiness. Thanks for reading! I challenge you to now think of what makes YOU happy?????
6 comments:
That's awesome Cam, and so true. Why waste our energy on the things that don't matter, right? True happiness...good reminder. Thanks Cam!
I really like this. I have been asking myself the same thing lately. I think it is great to know the answer so we can focus our lives how we want them!
I truly believe when you do it the Lord's way, we are happier and we are blessed, just as promised. And even from the beginning of your post, it reminded me of the Lord's way: early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise kind of attitude as well as the scripture advising us to maintain a house of order, a house of prayer a house of fasting... - you know the one.
My beautiful Cami, you are so awesome. I really appreciate your post. You are right! I was thinking about this not too long ago. I think that being a mom can be tiring if WE DECIDE this is the way is going to be. But it can be the most wonderful and rewarding thing we can do as women if we want it to be this way. I LOVE BEING A MOM AND A WIFE that makes me HAPPY!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I really needed to hear all that you had to say!
Cami, I don't think you will ever truly see or understand what kind of an angel you really are to all of us moms out here!
Now, I am going to make my own list, and start making some changes...
Thank you friend.
What makes me happy is a daughter like you. Thanks for the reminders.
Post a Comment