Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord....."

Have you ever been told to do something and even though you didn't understand why, you did it anyway because you were told to? Well, in a couple of weeks, you could ask me the same question and I would answer a very enthusiastic "YES"!

Before I explain....let me start by saying this is the hardest decision I've ever made. Ever. Yes, even harder than deciding who to marry, or when to have children. Is that backwards? Maybe. But now you understand exactly how hard this has been for me.

We knew right away after James took the job in Park City that something wasn't right. Nothing seemed to click right away with the job, or the ward, or anything. We just felt really unsettled. It was so hard to understand because we KNEW we were suppose to be here, but I guess not as long as we had planned...or maybe the timing was off. We loved the area, and being so close to family, but nothing else was going right. James found out that he REALLY did not like working retail. (He worked hospital all through school and loved it, and assumed he would also like retail, but found out quickly that they are VERY different.) He also wasn't liking the schedule, especially working every other Sunday.

We immediately started to look for Hospital jobs in Utah, (since it's harder to find a hospital job the longer you work retail) but nothing was available. Everything he applied for required a few years of experience, or a residency. Believe me, we applied for EVERYTHING, and weren't having ANY luck! We finally decided to look outside of Utah, and came across this job in New Mexico (four corners area).

We went down for the interview...probably a little closed minded...I mean come on...it's NEW MEXICO(!), but we both felt super good about the city and the job, right away. Now...it took a lot of convincing on God's part, once I was home, that this is really where my family needed to be, but after a lot of temple trips, fasting, praying and scripture study, we both knew what we needed to do. (I remember one day opening up my scriptures and reading in the D&C, "Your prayers have been heard and you are immediatly called to the four corners thereof." ...I mean, really? Can you dispute that? I couldn't.)

So we finally made the decision, and we have been so blessed to have such supportive family! I know it's going to be hard , but if this is what we're suppose to do, than everything will work out fine.

Also, the job does have it's benefits. James will be working in a hospital. He can get the experience he needs, and possibly even do a residency with them. Plus...he's going to love it! He knew that the one day he was there for the interview! Also, they will most likely be paying off his student loans, and he will only have to work every 5th or 6th Sunday. Hallelujah! There are also a lot of extra bonuses when he gets commissioned with the company in a year. (30 days paid vacation....etc!) We learned that it's more important to get paid a little less and ENJOY what you are doing, then making more money and being miserable!

The hard part is leaving. We LOVE it here!


How could somebody NOT want to live here?????


Goodbye beautiful Heber...


I'm gonna miss the green grass and the large yard!

...And the beautiful waterfalls....





...And the countless hiking trails...




And throwing rocks in the Provo River....




And the gorgeous green mountains....








And all the trees in the Fall....



But....we know we have to go, and that's all that matters.
Things will look different in a desert, but I guess "beautiful" is a relevant term. Personally, I like green. But...in it's own way, I guess the rocks and cliffs are also beautiful. I'm sure it will grow on me. I'm excited for another adventure, and I know James is too. (I've never lived somewhere that isn't surrounded by Mormons on every side. I'm kind of looking forward to doing more missionary work!) It's good timing for us though. None of our kids are even in school for another year still, so it's easy enough to relocate. Also, my sweet family has been renting us their home so we're not tied into a home or lease either. What a blessing!


I know this post has already gone on forever, but here is a little taste of where we'll be.....
Welcome to New Mexico.... Climates are similar to Northern Utah, except not nearly as much snow.
The city, where we'll live (close to the reservation where he'll be working) has a population of about 50,000 or so. 70% white, 16% Native American, and 14% make-up of other races.
When we were down for the interview, we went to explore the city. We found a nice park with a splash pad, and playground that leads into a fun river walk. (okay...so the river is a little muddy....at least there are rivers. I was expecting total desert, so finding this made me smile.)
Oh...and we ran into a few skunks on the way! I'd better keep Carson close when we go to throw rocks in the water here!


James will be working with the Indian Health Services in the hospital. We are in for a culture shock, I'm sure, but it's kind of exciting! This is the rock that the reservation is named after. I think it's pretty cool. (We won't be living ON the reservation...but in a nearby town.)



This is a picture of the hospital on the res, where he'll be working. It's actually super nice. It's a very big facility, and James is so excited to start working!




And this is where we'll be renting for a few months while we look for a place to buy or build. It's small (especially compared to where we've been) but we can handle it for a few more months. We did it for 5 years...what's a few more months? A lot of the homes are Santa Fe style, but not all. And, although most have rock landscaping, there are a good amount of homes with grass in the backyards, so that's a plus. The homes are smaller than Utah, (they don't have as many kids!) but they have some really nice areas that we would be happy living in.



So, the plan is to go for a few years, get the experience he needs, pay off the student loans, and hopefully move closer to family with a job we like. But who knows?....Maybe we'll love it so much here that we'll decide to stay forever?!!! Probably not. But...if I've learned anything, it's to always keep my options open and stay close to the spirit. "I'll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord...I'll be who you want me to be."

22 comments:

Brooks said...

I'm trying to not be irritated by the lack of commentary here. It is now a mystery that MUST be solved. I'm not good with anticipation...

Is it a vacation destination? Is it a permanent destination? Or is it just pretty to look at?

I must know!

Cami Jo said...

Sorry Brooks! My computer posted this after the pictures were loaded, but I wasn't quite ready. Check it out now....the mystery is solved!

Jeff said...

You forgot to mention the PHENOMENAL flyfishing. Probably the most important thing about the place. Good luck down there.

Amy S said...

Wow, what an exciting adventure. You will learn to love it. I never ever thought in a million years that I would live in Texas, but here I am and I really do love where we are now. The only thing I really miss are the mountains. I wish I would get an answer like you did every time I read my scriptures. Life would be so much easier that way. haha Good luck to you and your family on your adventure.

Emily said...

What a great post! You are such an awesome person! That will be an exciting opportunity and like you said, your kids are the perfect age! Keep postin!

Anonymous said...

I think it will be a great adventure for you guys. And Believe me it is super cool to learn about different religions and visit with all types of people. Although it is weird that None of my neighbors are LDS...

I'm so glad that you and your family have been able to stay close to the spirit to know that it was time for a change even though you barely got started where you are now.
this will be a great thing for your family.
Sending hugs your way!

Kim and Chet said...

Aw Cami, You are so cute and make me smile. I am sad that you will be leaving and moving so far away, but I am happy to know that you are where you feel you should be...right now! :)

Good luck to you both! Thank goodness for the internet. I will miss you so much!

ToddandCamille said...

Your story sounds so famaliar to mine about a year ago when we decided to move to Albuqueruqe NM! Welcome to the land of Enchantment or as I like to call it the land of entrapment! When are you coming down? My sister served a lot of her mission in Farmington n on the reservation.

J+M=L said...

Holy cow! That is exciting! It is fun to move away and experience something totally new. I'm sure you guys will love it!

Brooks said...

Yea! That's awesome! I hope that he loves his job.

I was really scared when it was time to move to Vegas, but I have to say that even though there aren't many Mormons here, It is seriously one of the friendliest places I have ever lived. Even the hobos in the Wal-Mart parking lot are nice! My Ward is the best ever (not to say anything about Pocatello... that one was pretty great, too.). Sometimes it takes something big to find your comfort spot.

Thanks for solving the mystery. I am so excited for you!!!

Lindsay said...

Oh Cam...you will be missed. I love your pictures! Horray for the pink trees! Such a beautiful place Heber is. I'm counting on you retiring there someday so we can still come and play! And New Mexico isn't so far...we'll make excuses to go down south more often now!

Erica Bazil said...

What a hard decision you've had to make. Of course you can only be blessed when you follow the Lord's will - whether it be now or in the future. I believe that distance can strengthen your relationships with your family as you truly have to rely on eachother for most EVERYTHING. And I find it easier to overlook the minor things (that I should have been better to overlook in the first place)you come across in family drama and just cherish your visits with extended family for your limited time with them. Good luck with all the changes. I'm excited for you!

Shellie said...

Cam, you and James have always made the best decisions for your wonderful family. That is because you always do it the right way, (with the Lord's counsel.) 31 years of working a job I didn't like makes me so happy for James right now. And that happiness will be brought home to you and your family every day and night, and so consequently everyone will share in his happiness. Both of you are to be commended for doing what was necessary to put you in this position. "Do what you love and you will love what you do." It's all about being happy NOW!!!!. "men are that they might have joy," NOW!!!! Not later. Congratulations!!! Good Luck!!! and we Love all of you!!! No matter where you are. Heavenly Father is "jovial" (Tuesday night reference) because he LOVES what he does. And it is so easy for him to rejoice in our own happiness. It makes me feel so happy to know that just by you being happy, you contribute to Heavenly Father's Happiness' I love you,(by the way this Dad). And you guys will always have our full support. Don't ever worry about that. Love, Dad (alias Bampa)

mom said...

Oh, Cami you are my inspiration!!!!
You help me realize that moving isn't the end of the world and that if you can do it with 3 little kids, I should be able to do it with none left at home.
Thanks for your sweet spirit and you and James' example to us.
I love you both and try not to cry everytime I think about you leaving.
Love ya
MOM

Nicole said...

Cami! That is so exciting! I know how it feels to know you're supposed to go somewhere and you're not sure why. But, blessings always follow! You guys will love it down in that area. Preston's family is from northern Arizona, and it's really a nice area. Maybe we'll have to stop by and see you when we go for Christmas!

Shareen said...

You are wise beyond your years. I would love to have the faith you have. You will be sorely missed but reading the last sentence of your post brought tears to my eyes. You will go where he wants you to go and you have become what he wants you to become. We love you tons and can't wait for the day that you will hopefully come back to Utah and let us all enjoy you and your cute family once again. Good luck with the move and I know James will be so happy in his new job. Love ya tons!!!!

Melonie Harris said...

Wow girl..Sometimes we don't know whats going on but we just have to trust the Lord!! I am glad you have been close to Heavenly Father because you may not have been ready! Good luck to you and enjoy your journey!!

stephanie said...

First off, Congratulations on the new job! Secondly, the desert isn't so bad :) We've been in Mesquite for 17 years and we're still alive!!! You may find out you really don't miss a lot of snow! Good Luck with the move, when are you headed down?

Dustin and Janeth said...

Oh my dear Cami, I must be so emotional right now because I'm crying. I just admire you so much. You are so wonderful and what makes me cry is to see what a strong testimony you guys have. Not everybody asks the Lord what He wants for them and family, fasts and prays about decisions to make so it humbles me to see those who do.
I know you'll love New Mexico and will be really happy there!
Love you and miss you :)

Tori Price said...

Cami congratulations! You will love it I am sure! I've had lots of family live in New Mexico and it is beautiful there... different from Utah but still beautiful! I am so excited for your new adventure but I'm sad you're leaving! When do you guys leave?

clintandmegtucker said...

Holy Crap Cam! That is a big change, but really exciting! You'll do awesome in New Mexico!

Felicia said...

Best of luck from us! Those kind of decisions can be so difficult. I'm glad your going forth with such a good attitude.