Monday, December 6, 2010

Public Restrooms: Friend or Foe?


I agree, we've all been in a situation where we were VERY thankful for a public restroom one time or another. They are an inevitable part of "errand running" when you have children (no matter how many times you make them go before leaving the house). So....all these visits to the public restrooms got me thinking. Thinking how I wish there was a way I could change a few things about the public restroom world....

My 3 main complaints with public restrooms...



1-Ever gone to a public bathroom in such an emergency that you failed to realize the the stall lock didn't really lock? It'll kind of do the quick, fake-lock thing, until you get yourself settled on the throne, and then suddenly you realize the door has magically squeaked open? It's really quite embarrassing when someone walks in on you, and even more uncomfortable trying to go while holding a door shut!

2-I am not usually a picky person when it comes to toilet paper, but I do have my limitations. 2 things stand out in my mind that should be addressed. I HATE when you go to a restroom and the toilet paper roll doesn't turn, only allowing you one square at a time. I mean, come on?! Are you really trying that hard to save money that you are trying to limit the usage of toilet paper by your customers??? The second thing that bothers me is when they stock the bathroom with PLENTY of toilet paper, but it's all super thin, and scratchy. Where's the two-ply people??? What's this all about? I've noticed this mainly when I'm using a restroom inside a restaurant. They have the nerve to put me in here with their greasy food, and don't even consider the damage this TP is doing to my bum! It's really not nice people. REALLY not nice.

3-Last problem? Automatic flushers: Good idea? I'm sure it was. Less germs to spread, cleaner smelling bathrooms....etc. I realize the reasons these have been installed, but I have 2 problems with these as well. First problem: When they don't STOP flushing, and your not done going! Being a mother of young children, there have been numerous times when there is more than just myself inside a bathroom stall. These automatic sensor things create a huge problem in these situations. I have been soaked to the bones by flushing toilets on many occasions because I'm still on the pot, and the kids are setting off the sensors. Very gross and uncomfortable feeling, let me tell ya! Problem number 2? When I finally WANT it to flush, and it won't. This is really just more unnecessary stress that I don't need or want in my day. You'll find me dancing around the stall trying to find the stupid sensor so I can avoid the embarrassment of leaving the stall, un-flushed, only to have another woman enter after me, and give me the, "You sicko! Ever heard of flushing the toilet???" look.

I realize there are many aspects that I just have to deal with when I find myself inside a public restroom (the smell, the germs, and the noises), however, the 3 problems I listed are all easily
manageable things that EVERY public restroom should attend to. Is it really too much to ask???

9 comments:

J+M=L said...

Logan wouldn't go on public toilets for the longest time because he was so scared of the automatic flushers! It would always go off while he was still on! Scarred him for a good long time...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I totally have to agree with the auto flushing toilet. I hate them. one of the last times I had to take Chloe to the bathroom she was already scared enough of the bathroom and then to make things worse the toilet kept flushing on her. needless to say she was in tears before we were done. It was Awful!

Erica Bazil said...

What an interesting AND legitimate topic! :) To make automatic flushers worse - my kids have found the tiny button to push (that actually makes the toilet flush) - so not only do they not stop flushing on their own, but on teh off chance that they do, my kids are sure to get them started back up. What do you do?

BTW, I really liked you last post, I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor losing her baby. You think you're kind of in the clear at that point in the pregnancy and that was just so sad. I hope she's doing okay.

mom said...

Cami, you ought to be a stand up comedienne.

Unknown said...

This blog post is sick and I have never had these problems or have not cared.

Lindsay said...

Happy Happy Birthday Cami Dear!!! I tried to text you this morning, but it didn't work...so I hope you have been having a FABULOUS birthday! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Enjoy every minute! Love ya! (Oh yeah, and I did take Weston shopping later in the day on Black Friday...like at 10am-2pm!) Haha! But happy birthday!

Josh and Shalae said...

Happy Birthday girlie! I hope you're having a great one today! And as for your post, I think it's hillarious!!! I too feel the same way. Just remember, so you don't have to dance around in the stall trying to get the thing to flush, that there is that tiny little button you can push to flush it! You are so funny!

Tori Price said...

Cami my life would be completely boring without your blog and your entertaining posts!

Evie B. said...

I hate (besides when your lock doesn't work) that the doors open and close IN. When you are trying to squeeze your self and sometimes 3 kids in one stall, it's a con.