Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Too much Talent for one family

(Don't let all the videos deter you from reading/watching this post. There isn't one video that lasts more than 15 seconds.)

For Family night this week, we summarized the Parable of the Talents. We then had a fabulous talent show. The kids had practiced all day and as the day went on, more and more talents were discovered and chosen to be showcased at our wonderful event.

I did a few of my amazing tongue twisters, and showed a few things I made this month. The first is my SPRING blocks...(for a craft exchange I did with lots of cute girls.) The next was my FAMILY blocks. What can I say? I'm a modge-podgin' fool. I had extra glue and paint from my SPRING craft, and I figured I should put it to good use.



So, onto the more exciting talents.....
My videos came in backwards, so we'll start with James...
He wanted to sing us a beautiful rendition of the "National Anthem" but after the first line, we told him no. (He is NOT a singer!) So, he showed off his mad skills with this amazing trick...

Then, he really showed us some talent by hurdling over the entire chair. Believe me, it was beyond cool. Too bad I didn't get that one on tape. He wasn't a fan of me recording his talents.

Next we have Carson. Carson practiced all these talents, and then decided to perform them in one big routine. I think he wants us to put him in gymnastics.

Carson has been doing well with Soccer, and has also been a crazy, lincoln-log house building machine. He reads well, and can now do basic math flashcards too. But, the standing on the head is his most prized talent, as you could tell.

McKenzie decided to read us a story in her reading book and then dance for us. She is so shy, that (even when performing in front of just family,) we only got about 5 second clips before she would just stop and giggle. We missed the "hip-hop" routine on camera, but I caught a few good moves in her slow dance. Enjoy!

"Twirls" is what I call the first clip.

The next video features an amazing "high-kick" she had been practicing all afternoon.

The last is a very modified version of Madison's talent. While "practicing" her talent before dinner, Madison hurt her foot. She was doing quite well jumping off the second stair and landing on the floor, when Carson insisted she could do it off the third stair. So she tried. (I was cooking dinner, so I missed this. For the record, I'm a good mother who WOULD have stopped the madness before she jumped, but I wasn't there. James, however, was sitting on the couch watching.) So....she jumped, and actually landed it. (Mind you- she is only 22 months old still.) She was so excited, she wanted to practice again. The next time she wasn't so fortunate. She landed wrong and hurt her foot. She has now has been limping around for the past 24 hours. Poor thing! It's not swollen though, so I'll keep an eye on it and see if I need to take her in to get it checked.

So...here is her jumping TO Carson, instead of to the floor like she initially planned.

Madison also sang us a song and read a book. (When I say read, I mean yelled out the last word of every sentance in one of her favorite books, while I read the rest.)

What can I say, we are a bunch of talented folks over here!

Then we enjoyed homemade cookies and milk for our treat.

WE LOVE FAMILY NIGHT!!!

7 comments:

Karl said...

Cami, there is no video of you

Josh and Shalae said...

Ya Cam, where is your video clip?? Thanks for the idea by the way! I think my kids will love to do something like that for FHE!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great bunch of talents you have at your house. I'm glad you were able to gt a few of them on film.
I'm thinking we should do it next week. I have no idea what I am getting myself into though. It might be a little bit scary.

Shareen said...

Such a cute idea for Family Night. What a great way to get your kids used to performing in front of people, even if it is their own family!!

Liz Applegate said...

Ah Cami, I love your family and I love your FHE. Can I just say how glad I am you guys moved into our ward and that the bishop thinks that girls should ride with girls!

Lindsay said...

How fun! That is too funny. What a talented family!

Emily said...

Love your crafts Cami! It looks like you had a fun night! I'll have to try that.